Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Airplay disconnects when computer falls asleep

Recently (and this is quite a new issue for me, probably after last Apple TV update), AirPlay disconnects right when the Mac goes to sleep. Apple TV stays on, just the AirPlay connection drops. I have to manually connect the computer again (with the AirPlay icon).

It didn't happen with previous versions of Apple TV and I set the sleep time to never.

What could be the issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 16GB RAM, 512 SSD, 2.7GHz

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 1:04 PM

9 replies

Nov 24, 2013 1:57 PM in response to elado

Same here on my iMac 2013 running Mavericks. As soon as display goes asleep, Airplay disconnects. Caffeine does not help.

Unchecking mirroring does not work either, leaving me with a screen resolution that's maybe fit for TV but unsuitable to work with when you want to carry on using your computer while music is playing on the Apple TV.

I start wondering if Apple is actually doing sufficient testing of their software. These are rather basic errors.

May 3, 2015 9:36 PM in response to vazandrew

It may not be widespread, but the problem exists. I've read many articles telling me the same thing "check your energy saver settings" set to 'never' sleep and 'wake on network access' but I have the same problem. During watching of a movie I have to get up and go wake my Mac so I can continue watching the movie.

Out of interest, does anyone else have passwords to login to their user account upon wake? I do, just wondered if there is a common trend?

Mac Airplay disconnects when computer falls asleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.