Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Awesome. Can't Safe Boot Anymore

Anyone ?!

Power ON + Shift

= Gray screen with the infamous Apple Folder Question Mark Gray icon .

( Nope , i'm not holding down the Power ON button ) .

Annnnnd then ,

Power ON + Command + V

= Mac boots up as Normal .

( ie , For lack of a better word , Normal ) .

Any ideas ?!

( Still getting the , jnl: unknown-dev: flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5 , logs in Verbose Mode boot ups , before OS X is accessible to log in . )

( Still getting the same OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion download , no matter how many times i go into recovery . Power ON + Command + R . )

--OSX128bit

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 3:17 PM

Your system is in a bad state. With you showing hidden files, and probably modifying or deleting some of them, you've created a mess for yourself. Your system is no longer in any state that Apple shipped it. Frankly, you should back up your data and re-install the OS.

And then quit tinkering as you are. You're showing hidden files, then having no idea what they're for, and are creating all the problems that you're then asking us about.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2013 3:17 PM in response to OSX128bit

Your system is in a bad state. With you showing hidden files, and probably modifying or deleting some of them, you've created a mess for yourself. Your system is no longer in any state that Apple shipped it. Frankly, you should back up your data and re-install the OS.

And then quit tinkering as you are. You're showing hidden files, then having no idea what they're for, and are creating all the problems that you're then asking us about.

Apr 18, 2013 3:27 PM in response to William Lloyd

Again ,

i get that same exact state of OS X copy , every single time i get one from recovery . Again , and again , and again , and over , and over again .

as i have stated in OSX128bit posts , i have all data backed up . And i have no data on the hard drive . i can't trust it yet . i agree , it's in a bad state .

But , downloading another recovery copy , and/or taking it into the Apple Store to get their local copy , only brings me to the point where i am at .

Tinkering = https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4975520?answerId=21813463022#21813463022 ?

Because there is a growing number of problems that Apple Discussions contributors are trying to troubleshoot .

--OSX128bit

Apr 18, 2013 3:59 PM in response to Barney-15E

i thought the posting put in the :

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

( And my Model number is : MD101LL/A ) .

Anyway , i don't run it without installing anything else at the time . It's already in an bad state . The symptoms :

Everything here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5672

It's all there .

Then i figure , well , attempt to do all the updates , ( ie updater ) , i do , and it's in the same state as the Clean Install of OS X .

i've had to literally go in to the Apple Store with an appointment to verify the hardware is good to go . Green lights on all hardware . It's not the hardware . The Apple hardware is fantastic . On the other hand , i can't Power ON + D . To do the Hardware Diagnostics Test by Apple . It will not let me . Why , i don't know . Any ideas ?!

Has anyone ever experienced a Clean Install of OS X in Recovery , and then found that , because when the user reboots the first time , that the Wi-Fi is ON by default , ( and yes i've tested this with Ethernet and with Wi-Fi on separate Clean Installs of OS X ) , that they have a bad DNS Server Service quickly made to their OS X configurations , in which the symptons of http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5672 start to occur immmediately ? Before even signing up and logging in ?

( Yes , i've even gone as far as isolating the internet connection to only the ISP Internet Modem hardwired with a Gigabit Ethernet . And calling my ISP to send a signal to my ISP Internet Modem for a reset . And resetting the ISP Internet Modem with the paperclip ) .

Any ideas ?!

--OSX128bit

Apr 18, 2013 4:06 PM in response to Barney-15E

We need to find a way .

We just need to find a way .

i really really really appreciate you reaching out .

i'm thinking here , and i'm rarely typing or clicking anything anymore .

There's just gotta be a way . there's just gotta be a way .

See here as well : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4977170?answerId=21820317022#21820317022 .

--OSX128bit

Apr 18, 2013 4:34 PM in response to OSX128bit

Anyway , i don't run it without installing anything else at the time . It's already in an bad state . The symptoms :

Everything here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5672

It's all there .

Then stop trying to install stuff until you know it runs fine.

That is a description of a security update. It isn't a symptom of anything at all.

Yes, I have "clean" installed the OS and the WiFi was on and it could identify the WiFi networks when booted. That's what it is supposed to do.

You're not making any sense. The links you post have absolutely nothing to do with any problems you are having.

Please stop spamming us. Are you just picking random article numbers and posting them?

Awesome. Can't Safe Boot Anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.