Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Genius not working

Okay. I've uploaded several new albums to my iPod in the last few weeks. I have existing albums from some of the same artists, but when I try to generate a Genius playlist, it continously tells me there aren't enough related songs to create a Playlist.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3, 4th Gen

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 3:59 PM

5 replies

Apr 18, 2013 4:03 PM in response to jippy

Sometimes if you sync a portion of your iTunes library to iPod or iPhone, you may be unable to create a Genius playlist with certain songs while using your device. You may see one of the following messages:

• "This song does not have enough related songs to create a Genius Playlist."
  • "Genius is unavailable for the selected song."

If this happens, try making a Genius playlist with those songs on your computer. If you can make a Genius playlist in iTunes on your computer, then it is likely that there are not enough songs on your iPod or iPhone that go great with the desired songs. Try syncing more of your iTunes library with your device. If you are still unable to make Genius playlists from those songs, consider making Genius playlists in iTunes first, then syncing them to your iPod or iPhone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2978

Jul 31, 2013 4:22 PM in response to lllaass

I have the exact reverse problem: iTunes refuses to generate a genius playlist from anything by AC/DC, but happily does it on my iPhone (I have iTunes Match, so it can access songs that are in my library but not on my iPhone).

My daughter, who shares my iTunes library under a different login, has the same problem with the same band. I can't understand what's going on.

Oh, and when I sync the iPhone back to iTunes, the genius playlist I'm trying to create on the computer does not sync back. A genius playlist created on my iPhone that I can also create on iTunes, does sync back.

Jan 26, 2014 3:15 PM in response to jippy

I'm pretty sure it's not your iPod. It's genius. Genius won't create playlists for new songs, which I can understand, but what I am still confused about is that genius will not create playlists for songs that have been out about ten years. Genius works for most of an album, but there's always like one song that won't work. Also, genius stopped working for songs it used to work for.

Jun 15, 2016 8:03 PM in response to jippy

I have been facing the same issue for a while and it is a little bit impressive that the problem was not solved so far. I will provide a work around that I used several times and it was the only solution I found so far:

1. Open your iTunes
  2. Delete all your songs in your iTunes library
  3. Go to File > Library > Update Genius
  4. Close your iTunes
  5. Delete the file iTunes Library Genius.itDB in your iTunes folder
  6. Open iTunes, plug & sync your device
  7. Go to File > Library > Disable Genius
  8. Disable Genius in the settings of your device also
  9. Close iTunes
  10. Unplug your device
  11. Delete again the file iTunes Library Genius.itDB in your iTunes folder
  12. Open iTunes
  13. Go to File > Library > Activate Genius
  14. Activate Genius in the settings of your device also
  15. Add all your music files to your library (and wait)
  16. Go to File > Library > Update Genius
  17. Plug your device and sync

I hope it helps you! Cheers

Genius not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.