Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will USB 3.0 be truly backwards compatible with USB 2.0 audio interfaces?

hello

I own a U46DJ mkII audio interface. I use the interface for music production, particularly recording vocals.

The device performs well on my windows laptop, I can record clean vocals with no artifacts. On the macbook pro however, the incoming audio signal is full of digital pops and clicks.

After spending a few days searching for solutions on google I narrowed it down to the USB 3.0 ports on the new macbook pro.

Lots of people with with all different brands of audio interface are experiencing problems while connecting them to USB 3.0 ports.

Here is an article on the topic: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but -some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/

So, when will USB 3 be truly backwards compatible with our USB 2 devices?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 5:46 PM

Tuesday. That's what I heard.

Perhaps the driver is the problem. Check with the interface manufacturer.

I have a Focusrite USB interface that sounds great but Pro Tools and Logic kept crashing when I used it. I went back and forth with Focusrite, they had several beta drivers which they sent me, none of which fixed the problem. Turns out the interface works better without the driver from the manufacturer.

I find it hard to blame Apple for this. It's not like they didn't have the ML beta out for a long time for all the device manufacturers to test their drivers and their hardware with. Apple can't keep tabs on every third party developer on the planet and design their software and hardware to keep all of them happy.

If you want to give Apple some feedback you can do it here: Apple - Mac OS X - Feedback

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2013 5:46 PM in response to graish

Tuesday. That's what I heard.

Perhaps the driver is the problem. Check with the interface manufacturer.

I have a Focusrite USB interface that sounds great but Pro Tools and Logic kept crashing when I used it. I went back and forth with Focusrite, they had several beta drivers which they sent me, none of which fixed the problem. Turns out the interface works better without the driver from the manufacturer.

I find it hard to blame Apple for this. It's not like they didn't have the ML beta out for a long time for all the device manufacturers to test their drivers and their hardware with. Apple can't keep tabs on every third party developer on the planet and design their software and hardware to keep all of them happy.

If you want to give Apple some feedback you can do it here: Apple - Mac OS X - Feedback

Apr 18, 2013 6:02 PM in response to arthur

Hey Arthur, thanks for your reply.

I take it you were being sarcastic, but i realy wish it could be fixed on tuesday!

My interface doesn't even have its own driver for OS X, it relies on core audio. The interface performs perfectly on my windows setup so i know its not faulty, but on the mac there's always artifacts in the recorded audio.

I have also tried several diferent cables, adjusted the buffer size to the maximum (over 2000 samples = lots of latency 😝 ) but still the pops are there.

Sep 7, 2013 11:51 AM in response to graish

Hi Graish, I have the same problem, but in this case related with a dock station. The model is toshiba dynadock U3.0, which in fact has USB 3.0. The only thing that does not work is the audio, and I've been reading that there is a fix for audio over USB 3 in the next versions of OS X. Somebody said that there is a fix on 10.8.5 or even the dev edition of 10.9. I wonder how much true is this, and if there is any patch without upgrading the OS.

Could you make it work your device over the USB 3.0 ports of most 2013 Macs?

Sep 7, 2013 12:18 PM in response to Csound1

Yes, I know 10.8.4 is the current, and is the one I have. So that is why I am having the issue.

I wonder if there any fix/patch for audio over USB 3.0 in 10.8.4....

Audio issues

http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=343

In some thread I've read that 10.9 solve this problem with the displaylink driver 2.0. Unfortunately that is not a possible solution for me.

Sep 7, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Csound1

My Current OS -> 10.8.4

My Issue -> USB 3.0 device with 5.1 audio interface not working (Toshiba Dynadock U 3.0)

The device is recognized by the MBA 2013 but when selecting the output via the sound trail it does not play any sound at all through the speakers.

Searchingof the problem -> found out that there are a lot of issues regarding devices with usb 3.0. There is a well known uncompatibility with mac drivers for audio devices over 3.0

First possible solution -> One is installing the 10.9 developer edition. I will not since there are many issues with it.

Second possible solutions -> Wait until they release the 10.8.5 with hopefully the fix, or the 10.9.

Is it understandable now?

Oct 29, 2013 10:49 PM in response to acursack

Hi Acursak ,actually i still have the same issue with my Allen Heath xone sd2 and my retina display....

i've already done all upgrades (firmware of AH and OsX)

at the moment i've 10.9 Maverick .....

pls....actually apple does not care about this big issue and i can not play on live with my new Mac....

if someone can helps me ....

regards Marco

Nov 6, 2013 12:52 PM in response to Compiobba

Hey Marco,

Not sure how can I help you.. I've just installed the drivers from here http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php. They also have a FAQ about audio troubleshooting. Have you tried opening the MIDI controllers, did u google for your own specific dig audio controller

There are some other brands that got the same issues (i think native instruments) that got a fix with Apple. I think u have to download the fix from their own web site.. checkout the native instruments link on the first post, or the webpage / FAQs on native instruments. Also I think Apple post it here the official fix....

Best

When will USB 3.0 be truly backwards compatible with USB 2.0 audio interfaces?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.