Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp migration or reinstall

I recently upgraded my Early 2011 MBP to a Fusion setup with a drive in the optical bay. I was simply going to reinstall Windows 8 and then restore from a backup I created. This however has not been as easy a process as I thought. The external Blu-ray drive I have shows up in Finder w/o issue, but when I try to boot to the Windows disc the disc simply appears and disappears repeatedly. When I try to boot to the Windows disc it just goes to a black screen. I have tried to setup a USB with the installer on it, but it doesn't show when I try to boot to it. I tried rEFit with zero effect.

I still have my old drive with all the data and Boot camp partition on so I thought I could move the data, but all I run into is the $30 Winclone software, and I'm not super keen on paying for a one time process. I've lost my patients with this after struggling with this for three days. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 11:11 AM

Windows can not be restored to a different drive system, Winclone or not. Reinstall.

Make sure you allocate enough space, resizing it will require another $30 program or reinstallation, you don't want to keep renstalling (I assume)

3 replies

Boot camp migration or reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.