Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate 3TB st3000dm001 Mac OS problem.

Hello,

Recently, i bought a brand new seagate barracuda 3TB hard drive (ST3000DM001). When i plugged it via usb in my macbook pro early 2010 mode (latest lion os), the driver wasn't even visible. Disk utility couldn't read it too. So, i used 3 different types of external cases (all of them support mac OS and hard drives bigger than 2TB) but nothing changed. After that, i did the same thing with my old mac mini (OS 10.6.8), but once again, nothing happend. The only way to see the hard disk is with windows 7, by using bootcamp on my macbook pro.Is there anyone out there who knows anything about this problem or how to solve it ? Thank you for your answers!

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 7:58 AM

7 replies

Apr 20, 2013 3:26 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

FatMac\>MacPro wrote:

Does the Seagate show up in Disk Utility in any of the external cases? If it does, you can format it there.

No, it does not! 😟

Otherwise, if it's accessable in BootCamp, try using Win 7 to format it in exFAT. Mac OS X can see that.

I already tried this. Even after i formatted the disk in exFAT, it wasn't readable by disk utility.

Seagate 3TB st3000dm001 Mac OS problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.