Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference in performance RAID 0 v RAID 1 w/referenced files?

I'm working on a future new setup, with a MacBook Pro holding my Library, but using referenced files on an external drive, and deciding whether to set that drive up as RAID 0 or RAID 1 (or I suppose something else) based on performance

I was wondering if anyone has experience in what the performance differences are between setting up the external drive that holds the referenced files as RAID 0 v RAID 1.

I realize the differences in redundancy, here I am just curious about performance - if there are huge benefits in using RAID 0, I will make sure to get an additional backup elsewhere. (to throw a bit more into the mix, that external drive will be used for both images as well as video editing w/iMovie or Final Cut Pro, though more so images)

Thanks all-

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Capsule

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 10:15 AM

Performance differences will be small; not enough to warrant the risk IMO. I've used RAID 1 on my Mac Pro with Aperture for years, and performance is good.

5 replies

Difference in performance RAID 0 v RAID 1 w/referenced files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.