Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Restoring Macbook Air the startup manager dosent see the "macintosh hd" but i can erase it or repair it with disk utility

After Restoring Macbook Air the startup manager dosent see the "macintosh hd" but i can erase it or repair it with disk utility

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 10:48 AM

7 replies

Apr 19, 2013 11:09 AM in response to Hssainosh

Hssainosh wrote:

If you can't boot from a partition that Disk Utility can erase or repair, it sounds like there's no operating system installed on the Mac HD, so startup manager won't see it. There should be an option to install the OS in the window that also offers Disk Utility. Have you tried that?

Apr 19, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Hssainosh

Hssainosh wrote:

So what is you saying there is a problem with the installion faille that i have?

I don't know what "faille" is but the choice to reinstall Mountain Lion involves downloading the entire installer to the partition you want to install it on, rebooting and then automatically running the installer. The installer is big and takes a while to download even with a fast internet connection. If the internet connect isn't working or isn't reliable, the download will never occur or complete and the process will fail, which I think is what that message is telling you.

Apr 20, 2013 7:33 AM in response to Hssainosh

Since connection to the internet may be the issue, when you boot into Recovery mode, one of the choices is to get help on the internet using Safari. Have you tried that? If it works, at least your internet connection is working.

On occasion I've found that Apple's software update doesn't seem able to deliver the necessary software, perhaps because of server problems at their end. Since a day has gone by it might be worth trying again if the test above with Safari has worked. Good luck!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.