Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAID 0 v RAID 1 performance difference?

Hello-

I submitted this question to the Aperture forum too, but wanted to see if folks here have some advice as well on the video side specifically

I'm working on a future new setup, with a MacBook Pro and deciding whether to set up my external drive (that holds all my media) as RAID 0 or RAID 1 (or I suppose something else) based on performance. I use iMovie most of the time, but FCP when I'm looking to do a bit more advanced work (I'm like an advanced hobbyist I guess...).

I realize the differences in redundancy, here I am just curious about performance - if there are huge benefits in using RAID 0, I can certainly set things up that way and make sure to get an additional backup elsewhere.

Thanks-

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Capsule

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 9:52 AM

If you are going to be regularly editing multicam projects with four or more cameras, then the RAID 0 can definitely make the difference. Otherwise, IMO, it's not necessary – especially with a relatively new MBP.

In FCP, you can solve any playback issues by changing playback preferences to Better Performance and the ability to switch to proxy media while cutting off line.

Good luck.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2013 9:52 AM in response to aquestionortwo

If you are going to be regularly editing multicam projects with four or more cameras, then the RAID 0 can definitely make the difference. Otherwise, IMO, it's not necessary – especially with a relatively new MBP.

In FCP, you can solve any playback issues by changing playback preferences to Better Performance and the ability to switch to proxy media while cutting off line.

Good luck.

Apr 21, 2013 7:38 AM in response to Russ H

Actually, as a long time IT engineer, I can assure you from many tests my compandy and others have done, that most end users can't tell the peformance difference between RAID 0 and RAID 1 on most setups. Only if you use a very large, massive RAID array would you ever notice the difference. To with RAID 1 and be sure the encoluser allows you to change out one of the drives if it goes bad without losing your data. Not all allow that.

Apr 21, 2013 7:54 AM in response to Russ H

Agreed that RAID is of no importance. Any Thunderbolt or Firewire (use adapter) hard drive with a reasonably fast 7200rpm drive (don't get a "green" drive that spins down...I like Western Digital Caviar Black drives) will be perfectly fine unless you get into multicam work.

RAID0 is only for data protection. There is no speed up.

If one drive goes bad in a RAID1 configuration you HAVE lost data. RAID0 is a mirror backup setup and does nothing for speed. RAID1 shares data between two drives with no backup and if one drive goes down you're hosed. But neither is necessary, per se.

Apr 22, 2013 2:31 PM in response to BenB

Thanks for the tip, BenB! If you have any personal opinions of drives, I'm all ears. I'm relatively lazy, so was thinking of just picking up a G-RAID w.Thunderbolt at the Apple store when I make my purchase, but if you have any personal favorites for hot-swappable drives, I'm all ears (I guess I was just assuming if one fails, then back to the manufacturer it goes, and I've heard pretty good things about their replacement work...though hopefully that won't happen! 😀 ).

RAID 0 v RAID 1 performance difference?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.