Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video quality through iMessage poor?

Well why does some come in crystal clear and some come in like crap? Don't bother calling apple support because they are useless. Just talked to the supervisor or whatever they are called and she was lost. I suggest apple hires people who know what they are talking about.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2017 1:19 PM

Hi everyone,

4 years and still no answer ? Apple team, what can been do ?

I really don't get how all this is working.

Last odd example I got : background picture - my iMessage account is connected to my iPhone and my iPad. Both are connected to the same wifi network. I receive a video (1min30 long). Quality is poor on the iPhone, but cristal clear on my iPad... Trying to reload higher quality on my iPhone seems impossible... What can I do ?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2017 1:19 PM in response to Radek_42

Hi everyone,

4 years and still no answer ? Apple team, what can been do ?

I really don't get how all this is working.

Last odd example I got : background picture - my iMessage account is connected to my iPhone and my iPad. Both are connected to the same wifi network. I receive a video (1min30 long). Quality is poor on the iPhone, but cristal clear on my iPad... Trying to reload higher quality on my iPhone seems impossible... What can I do ?

Mar 18, 2014 9:57 PM in response to NateDerr

I think I might have a solution. This was happening to me and I found out there is a difference depending on whether the video is recorded in the camera app or inside Messages using the "Take Photo or Video" option. Videos made in iMessage send at 480 x 360 4:3 ratio while videos recorded with the camera app send at 720p 16:9 aspect ratio.

So make sure your buddy is using the camera app to record the videos first!

Also make sure both sender and receiver are on Wi-Fi, otherwise the video quality is degraded if it goes over cellular.

Video quality through iMessage poor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.