Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bottom plate "bulge" on 2012 MacBook Pro 13" (outward dent)

I purchased my first Mac this summer at the 2012 refresh of the Mac line. I purchased a 2012 MacBook Pro, 13" non-retina

I went to pick my MacBook up about an hour ago and noticed a small dent on the bottom, I noticed it because it was bulging outward (See photo). I'm pretty suprised because I keep my MacBook in immaculate condition.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Curious, and pretty upset, I opened my computer up to see what the issue was. This is the only flaw to come to my baby since I bought it 🙂

Upon opening the bottom case, I saw that the issue was a screw in between my hard drive and my Superdrive ( the that stuck out a little further than the other one that was lined up with it).

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I am a little bothered by this, considering that the only two pads on the inside of the bottom plate are for these two screws and one failed to do it's job.

Obviously, the case damage takes my computer away from mint condition and drops resale value.

I purchased this computer from Best Buy and purchased the 1 year ADH warranty from them.

Would something like this be covered? Do I have any reason to be concerned, aside from the appearance? Is anyone else having this issue?

Also, should I bring this in to the Apple Store, which is about a 45 minute drive from here, or to best buy (about 10 minutes)?

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 4:32 PM

9 replies

Aug 27, 2013 9:57 AM in response to Marek K.

Well, basically, I went in to Best Buy and they told me it was a cosmetic issue and that it wasn't covered, but they still needed to take my computer for "diagnostics". Thinking they might actually fix my problem, I blindly gave it to them. Two weeks goes by and it showed up in the mail from out of state. My dent wasnt fixed, but upon boot, i saw that they wiped my entire operating system.

I looked in the packet they sent and they said it was due to "operating system corruption". Long story short - they didn't want to look like idiots for taking it and not finding any problems, and made some s*it up. Lesson learned. I will never buy another Mac from best buy, their protection plan, or deal with Geek Squad.

Bottom plate "bulge" on 2012 MacBook Pro 13" (outward dent)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.