Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore factory settings on MacBook Air?

Just bought a new-to-me 13" MacBook Air.

How do I restore it to factory settings & get rid of all the other person's residue?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 5:28 PM

if your new-to-you Macbook Air is running Lion or Mountain Lion - start your Macbook Air while holding down the command + r key and when you see the recovery menu - go to disk utility and erase/format your hard drive to Mac OS Journaled Extended - after you have done that - exit disk utility and reinstall your OS.

if your Macbook is a 2010 or older - it came with a USB Installer. Stick that USB installer in your USB Port - turn your macbook on while holding down the options key and select your USB installer as your boot drive - again, go to disk utility - format/erase the drive then proceed to install.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2013 5:28 PM in response to mgray87

if your new-to-you Macbook Air is running Lion or Mountain Lion - start your Macbook Air while holding down the command + r key and when you see the recovery menu - go to disk utility and erase/format your hard drive to Mac OS Journaled Extended - after you have done that - exit disk utility and reinstall your OS.

if your Macbook is a 2010 or older - it came with a USB Installer. Stick that USB installer in your USB Port - turn your macbook on while holding down the options key and select your USB installer as your boot drive - again, go to disk utility - format/erase the drive then proceed to install.

How do I restore factory settings on MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.