Previous 1 2 Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 1:21 PM by TomRockwell
ugofalace Level 1 (0 points)

Hello!

Is there anybody who faced same issue?

Video included in HTML5 widget doesn't work on iPad. It works in Safari but no way to have it started on the iPad.

I can only see the play sign with a bar on it.

Format is .mp4 (H264) so it should be the right one.

Please help, I tried everything...(below a screenshot from iPad)

Thanks in advance for cooperation!

Ugo

issue.jpg

iBook, i books author
  • K T Level 7 (23,705 points)

What happens if you drag just the video onto a page and try to play it...

• ugofalace Level 1 (0 points)

Hello KT

It works if I just drop it to IBA. It also work on the iPad this way.

There must be soemthing wrong because I also used a standard html5 widget from hype and the video doesn't work either. I tried with a different iPad too but got stucked again.

Hope you may help me.

Thanks a lot

Ugo

Not sure what you mean by 'standard' widget, when there are at least some specifics required for use w/IBA....you can't just expect every widget to work, I don't think.

Seen this? iBooks Author: About HTML widget creation

sorry I meant an example widget made by Tumult Hype which I expected to work but it didn't.

Btw, my issue is related to my HTML5 widget which is a customized quiz with videos.

I tried the widget on Safari and other browsers and it works perfectly but the videos don't start on the iPad.

I'm able tp use every feature of the widget except the videos (I just see the "play" button with a bar on it and the video can't start.

I thought it has soemthing do to with the file format but I only use .mp4

Thanks

Ugo

>my issue is related to my HTML5 widget

Ah....something you should have mentioned before.

I thought it was clear in my first post. We are building HTML5 widget to be included in our ibooks but we're stucked with video now....

If you hace a chance to help we would appreciate very much.

Ugo

>I thought it was clear in my first post

Then why repeat it...three times now.

You keep repeating yourself like something will change.

Use a compatible widget. I hope that's clear and good luck.

never mind

• gadgetgurl42 Level 2 (175 points)

Just because you've created an HTML5 widget doesn't mean that it's compatible with iOS, sorry. It's irrelevant if it works as expected in a browser on your computer - different operating systems come into play.

If you find a solution, please let us know. If not, perhaps think of another way of presenting your content?

Thanks Gadgetgurl for your reply.

How can I make sure the widget is compatible with iOS? Is there a specific rule for videos? I did other HTML5 widgets which works on iOS but didn't succeed with videos.

Thanks in advance

• gadgetgurl42 Level 2 (175 points)

Hi ugofalace,

What do you want the widget to do exactly, other than play video? I'm assuming you want something else otherwise why not use the media widget??

I'm not sure what, if any, solution is possible, but I have an ebook that may be able to shed light on the matter (Learn HTML5 and JavaScript for iOS, by Scott Preston) that I've found really useful in the past. There's a section on audio and video, so I'll have a look and see it anything crops up. I haven't used Tumult Hype before. I've created a couple of HTML5 widgets using TextWrangler text edotor, manually writing the HTML, CSS and JavaScript. You never know...

Thank you for suggestion!

The widget is a customized quiz with videos. It was built in html (not using other software), The Tumult Hype was just an example sorry for confusion.

Ugo

• keeperofthecheese Level 1 (90 points)

See the following KBase article for video specifications:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5068

I strongly recommend a simple filename for the video using only alphanumeric characters.

Finally, consider using iAd Producer 4.0, which now offers support for creating and debugging HTML widgets for iBooks Author. One can download a copy using a free developer account from:

https://developer.apple.com/iad/iadproducer/

• yosoysyt Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having exactly the same issue as ugofalace. I used the specifications keeperofthecheese has posted, and doesn't work...

Anyone has been able to run embeded videos into html5 widgets?

Thanks a lot

Previous 1 2 Next