Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer my iTunes Library to my MacBook Pro?

I've just bought a new MacBook Pro with Retina Display as a replacement for my old MacBook. On my Macbook I have my iTunes library which contains all my play count, and playlists etc, I also use this to sync my iPhone 5 and iPod nano to. Throughout the day I have spent time trying to put the music onto my new MacBook Pro, however, although I can successfully move it all across, my song ratings,and playcount are non existing. Also my playlists; they do appear under the playlists bar, however, each one is empty and contains none of my previous songs.

Also, I was wondering if I connect my iPhone to my new MacBook Pro, will it sync the playlists and ratings, as well as completing my playlists, because when I sync it a message pops up onscreen saying my phone will be erased of the previous iTunes Library data, and if am worried about losing my playcount, which I do not want to do, therefore I have not yet synced it fully, apart from a back up and transfering any purchases.

Sorry about the long answer, and just some extra info if it helps

- I have an external hard drive to move files across if needed ( which is originally how I transferred my songs )

- I have home sharing set up ( I also tried this way, again, no play counts or playlists! 😟 )

Hopefully someone can help me with this! 😀

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who replies 🙂

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13"

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 1:27 PM

The best way is to copy the whole iTunes library from the MacBook to your MacBook Pro using an external drive. Doing this, you will keep everything and you won't lose anything from your iPhone, because your iPhone will detect that you are using the same iTunes library. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751 (Do the "Restore your iTunes Library backup" step on your MacBook Pro)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2013 1:27 PM in response to flashfromthesnapshot

The best way is to copy the whole iTunes library from the MacBook to your MacBook Pro using an external drive. Doing this, you will keep everything and you won't lose anything from your iPhone, because your iPhone will detect that you are using the same iTunes library. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751 (Do the "Restore your iTunes Library backup" step on your MacBook Pro)

How to transfer my iTunes Library to my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.