Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i enable secure virtual memory

When i checked About this Mac > More info > System Report and looked under Software i noticed my "Secure Virtual Memory" showed "Disabled". Now i am not particularly worried someone will haul an anchored down Mac Pro out of my home anytime soon but still, this would leave my SWAP file unsecured and possibly vulnerable for someone that has physical access to my Mac correct? My question is, how do i enable it in case i find the same to be the case on my MacBook Air, where i definitely do want it enabled?

Second question, unrelated, the Secure Empty Trash, how does it securely erase the data? A one pass, three pass or seven pass?

Thanks,

Jay

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 12-Core 3.06, 64GB RAM, SSD & 12TB

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 4:32 AM

In Mountain Lion, Secure Virtual Memory is on by default, and is no longer a preference setting. You can verify it is on by the following Terminal command:

User uploaded file

If there is some specific reason your secure virtual memory remains off, it may be unique to your machine configuration, or other speculative reason. Perhaps your 64 GB RAM configuration exceeds Apple's test in OS X for when Secure Virtual Memory should be enabled?

I would post a response to Apple Feedback, and certainly indicate you have 64 GB Ram installed:

MacPro

OS X

On the subject of Secure Empty Trash, Apple only offers that erased data is overwritten (no iteration suggested) with meaningless data.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2013 4:32 AM in response to jayv.

In Mountain Lion, Secure Virtual Memory is on by default, and is no longer a preference setting. You can verify it is on by the following Terminal command:

User uploaded file

If there is some specific reason your secure virtual memory remains off, it may be unique to your machine configuration, or other speculative reason. Perhaps your 64 GB RAM configuration exceeds Apple's test in OS X for when Secure Virtual Memory should be enabled?

I would post a response to Apple Feedback, and certainly indicate you have 64 GB Ram installed:

MacPro

OS X

On the subject of Secure Empty Trash, Apple only offers that erased data is overwritten (no iteration suggested) with meaningless data.

Apr 21, 2013 12:17 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the reply VikingOSX,

I ran the command and got "vm.swapusage: total = 0.00M used = 0.00M free = 0.00M"

No mention of it being encrypted or it being there are all, maybe swap is disabled somehow? Do i really need it if it is disabled? Good suggestion to use the Apple Feedback, will do that and let you know what they said and so others can use this thread as a reference. While i'm at it i'll also ask more details about the secure empty trash, maybe they know more about that.

J.

How can i enable secure virtual memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.