Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switched to a new phone, not getting texts because they're being sent as iMessages?

So, looking for a change, I switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S3. I still have my iPhone (without a carrier, I only use it for group iMessages and FaceTime and such) and I'm having a problem when texting friends where their messages are sending as iMessages to my iPhone, which is off, with WiFi turned off and iMessage turned off (I turn both WiFi and iMessage off, as well as the actual iPhone, when I'm not using it to try and avoid this issue, but it's not working so far). I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this if it was consistent, but sometimes I'll be in the middle of a conversation with a friend on my Galaxy S3 and out of nowhere they'll stop responding. I won't think anything of it until the next time I turn my iPhone on and see that they did respond, it just sent as an iMessage even though my iPhone was off and they were texting me only minutes before.

Here's an example:

Sonia: Hey Jesse do you have the group code?
Me: I thought Paul gave it to you like a week ago 😝 lemme check

Sonia: Haha he didn't! Thanks

*I saw her after this message and we talked awhile, then I texted her again afterwards*
Me: Let me know if you want any help
*No response*

I didn't think anything of it cuz my text didn't neccessarily need a response. However, I went on my iPhone the next day and saw a new message from Sonia so I opened it and saw this:

Sonia: Hey Jesse do you have the group code?
Sonia: Haha he didn't! Thanks
Sonia: Thanks Jesse 🙂

I talked to her afterwards and she said she didn't know her messages had sent as iMessages because they also sent as texts. However sometimes the messages will only send as iMessages (like the last message she sent) and I won't get them at all until I turn my iPhone on. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I want my number completely removed from iMessage but when trying to remove it on my iPhone it's grayed out, unlike the emails. The emails are fine because I still want to talk in group chats and FaceTime and stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help!

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 10:17 PM

6 replies

Switched to a new phone, not getting texts because they're being sent as iMessages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.