Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall mountain lion on 2nd hand macbook air 2012

I just have bought a secondhand macbook sir 2012. If i reinstall mountain lion on this macbook, will i be needing the original user's apple id and password?

The original owner wont give his apple id and password. And i want to reinstall mountain lion, what if ill just buy mountain lion with my own apple id in the apple store, will i complete the installation using my apple id? Or i still need to enter the original owner's apple id and password?

I just want to be sure before buying mountain lion in the apple store

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 1:28 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2013 9:10 AM in response to kevinsaluague09

Of course he's not going to give you his AppleID and password.

He should have reconfigured the computer back to its original state before selling it. You may not need to purchase Mountain Lion.

You can reinstall the original OS by booting into Internet Recovery by holding down cmd-opt-R on restart.

You should see a spinning Earth as it connects to the Apple Servers. It will check the id of the Mac (not your AppleID) and reinstall the OS that it shipped with, either Mountain Lion or Lion (as you state it is a 2012 MacBook).

If it is Mountain Lion, you should be good to go and not need to purchase Moutain Lion. If it is Lion, you will have to go to the App Store and purchase Mountain Lion using your AppleID.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Message was edited by: Barney-15E

reinstall mountain lion on 2nd hand macbook air 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.