Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall mountain lion on 2nd hand macbook air 2012

I just have bought a secondhand macbook sir 2012. If i reinstall mountain lion on this macbook, will i be needing the original user's apple id and password?

The original owner wont give his apple id and password. And i want to reinstall mountain lion, what if ill just buy mountain lion with my own apple id in the apple store, will i complete the installation using my apple id? Or i still need to enter the original owner's apple id and password?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 1:31 AM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2013 8:42 AM in response to kevinsaluague09

You will need to buy Mountain Lion using your own Apple ID. Unfortunately, because it is already installed on this computer, you will need to buy it from another computer NOT running Mountain Lion already.

But yes, if you buy it with your Apple ID and go to reinstall the OS, when it asks your for the Apple ID, you can enter in your credentials and it will complete the install.

Apr 21, 2013 8:56 AM in response to kevinsaluague09

What happens next depends on what version of OSX was on ths machine when new, if it came with OSX it is yours (but the seller will need to contact Apple and transfer ownership of the machine and all licenses).

If the machine was upgraded to Mountain Lion you have no rights to the software and must return the machine to its original state and then purchase and install whatever you choose.

Do you know what was on the machine when new (most likely candidate is Mountain Lion of course)

reinstall mountain lion on 2nd hand macbook air 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.