Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac can't detect external display after update.

I recently updated my MBA, i forgot what update it was but it had safari 6.0.4 in it and a few somewhat minor updates but after the update my Mac can no longer detect external displays. I tried restarting, removing, and turning off the TV but it still wont work. Before, I just had to connect the cable and the mac instantly recognizes the display and it quickly switches to that but now it wont work. Is this a software problem?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 3:39 AM

Nevermind, i found a fix for it

Thanks to neilb41 for the fix.

neilb41

I hesitate to add to such a long thread but after weeks of frustration (and suffered ridicule when I could not use my Mac to support a presentation!!) I finally stumbled on a simple solution.

I had previously repaired permissions without apparrent success but I would recommend doing this as poart of good housekeeping anyway. Then I reset the PRAM. PRAM holds a number of system settings while your computer is switched off... including the display settings. To do this (copied from http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Worked for me first time.😀 I wonder why Apple could not have suggested that as a reply to the thread!! 😟

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2013 3:39 AM in response to donpd

Nevermind, i found a fix for it

Thanks to neilb41 for the fix.

neilb41

I hesitate to add to such a long thread but after weeks of frustration (and suffered ridicule when I could not use my Mac to support a presentation!!) I finally stumbled on a simple solution.

I had previously repaired permissions without apparrent success but I would recommend doing this as poart of good housekeeping anyway. Then I reset the PRAM. PRAM holds a number of system settings while your computer is switched off... including the display settings. To do this (copied from http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Worked for me first time.😀 I wonder why Apple could not have suggested that as a reply to the thread!! 😟

Mar 6, 2014 7:10 AM in response to donpd

For what it's worth: I had similar problems: I have a Mac Pro (2,1) with a 5770 graphics card. The card supports three displays (one DVI, two DP ports). I have two 30" cinema HD displays connected to it and one AOC 24" FullHD monitor via DP.

Quite frequently, the AOC would not be recognised when waking from sleep and I had to force the computer to detect it (unplugging cables, etc.). Given that the Mac Pro is about 7 or 8 years old, I changed the 3V Lithium backup battery (Panasonic CR 2032). That changed it completely and I haven't had any more problems.

Give that a try.

My $0.02

LL

Jun 4, 2014 9:48 PM in response to draganpope

I don't know if this will help, but it just worked for me.

My issue was not related to an update or anything.. It just seemed both my office and home external monitors stopped being recognized.

So frusterated I just switched the ends of the HDMI to the mini-dv adaptor / monitor, and it popped right onscreen like before. Wierd, but something to try if you are desparate!

Mac can't detect external display after update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.