Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and Mouse Won't Work

Ok - getting the formalitites out of the way.

Brand new iMac 27"

USB Keyboard and Mouse (NO WIRELESS) Apple's extended keyboard. Logitech mouse. Both are attached to the Mac via the ports on the iMac itself.

Windows - 7 (from DVD)

I used Bootcamp Assistant to create the partition and the driver updates.

First - the current install of Bootcamp is incredibly painful. To Apple: Important tip - Windows DOES NOT USE FAT ANYMORE, THEY USE NTSF. Please don't format the Windows partition FAT and make us reformat NTSF within Windows.

Ok, so I worked past that nonsense, then found out I needed to create an external USB "holder" for the current Bootcamp drivers. Got through that part and Bootcamp SHOULD have all of the drivers from Mountain Lion. So, in theory, I should have been able to just log in to Windows.

Except: neither the WIRED keyboard and mouse work. If I reboot using the button, Windows shuts itself off properly, so I can't get into safe mode.

The ONLY thing I can do is boot back Mac-side.

So why doesn't my keyboard and mouse work? How do I get them to work?

I wanted to be absolutely clear here because there are threads on this issue but they are for Win XP or Bluetooth peripherals, neither of which apply in this situation.

Thanks.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB DDR3

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 8:03 AM

2 replies

Apr 21, 2013 8:10 AM in response to araquen

araquen wrote:

Ok - getting the formalitites out of the way.

Brand new iMac 27"

USB Keyboard and Mouse (NO WIRELESS) Apple's extended keyboard. Logitech mouse. Both are attached to the Mac via the ports on the iMac itself.

Windows - 7 (from DVD)

I used Bootcamp Assistant to create the partition and the driver updates.

First - the current install of Bootcamp is incredibly painful. To Apple: Important tip - Windows DOES NOT USE FAT ANYMORE, THEY USE NTSF. Please don't format the Windows partition FAT and make us reformat NTSF within Windows.

Apple are fully aware of that, they give instructions on how to reformat (using the Windows installer) in the Boot Camp Directions, which I assume you read.

NTFS is not a public file system, it is owned by Microsoft, try to remember that.

Ok, so I worked past that nonsense, then found out I needed to create an external USB "holder" for the current Bootcamp drivers. Got through that part and Bootcamp SHOULD have all of the drivers from Mountain Lion. So, in theory, I should have been able to just log in to Windows.

That 'nonsense' is your nonsense. Boot Camp is a partitioning tool, it does nothing else. The support software (drivers) are a download that may be initiated in Boot Camp Assistant or downloaded directly from Apple and then installed with Windows (after you have installed Windows, not before)

araquen wrote:

Except: neither the WIRED keyboard and mouse work. If I reboot using the button, Windows shuts itself off properly, so I can't get into safe mode.

The ONLY thing I can do is boot back Mac-side.

So why doesn't my keyboard and mouse work? How do I get them to work?

I wanted to be absolutely clear here because there are threads on this issue but they are for Win XP or Bluetooth peripherals, neither of which apply in this situation.

Thanks.

Delete your installation, read the Boot Camp directions and start over, do not have anything connected to the USB ports while partitioning and installing Windows.

Keyboard and Mouse Won't Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.