Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac fans run loud after hard drive replacement

I have replaced a faulty hard drive with the same make and modle, but a little bit larger capacity hard drive. While I had my iMac open, I had used canned air to "clean" the fans because they were covered in dust. After I brought my computer up, the fans began running so loud that you can hear from a different room. Everything seems to check out okay, and working properly. Any ideas what could it be?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 6:43 PM

I had this problem after installing an SSD drive in place of the original HDD my 2011 iMac 27" I installed this free solution and it worked like a champ - I selected SMART mode.

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

22 replies

Jun 22, 2017 8:20 PM in response to Siddharth3322

I did all my iMac with SSD in 2010 (21.5 model), 2011 (21.5 model), 2012 (21.5 and 27), 2013 (21.5) and my newest 2015 (purchased less than 2 months ago, 27").

From my experience, 2010 and 2011 would need fixes (either soft wares or hard ware modification) - that I used in-line thermal sensor from iFixit.

However, 2012 and newer iMacs -- they tended to work fine WITHOUT tweak. I know iFixit carried similar in-line thermal sensor for 2012 and newer - that I think it is not necessary.

By the way, I upgraded with 2.5" SSD (much cheaper, instead of PCI-e blade SSD, as I ordered iMac originally equipped with HDD only) -- and I did have to use 2.5" --> 3.5" adapter for 27" models. I found Intel's 2.5"--> 3.5" adapter tends to fit much better in my modification experience.

Good Luck

Sam

Jun 23, 2017 4:15 AM in response to Siddharth3322

From what I have done on my iMac, I think I am comfortable to confirm your 2012 and 2013 iMac (21.5) will be fine with SSD (2.5") without worrying the fan issues.

There are many videos on-line about this project -- with proper tools and carefulness, I found the results were very rewarding.

I have: iFixit "pixxa cutter", T-screw, re-seal tapes

BTW, I used Samsung 830 (256G) for 2010, Apple OEM SATA3 (256G) for 2011, Crucial MX200 (500G) for 2012x2, Apple OEM SATA3 (512G) for 2013, Crucial MX200 (1T) for 2015.

Good Luck

Sam

Jun 23, 2017 4:25 AM in response to samtenor

At present I have purchased Samsung 850 EVO.

http://www.amazon.in/Samsung-MZ-75E250B-EU-SSD-250GB/dp/B00P736UEU?tag=googinhyd r18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=8195ff02-dcf4-40b9-abd0-103df6588a5d

Also I am going to install SSD through Apple Store not doing experiment with myself because I don't have more technical knowledge.

Also I want to increase my iMac ram as well, more trouble is that my iMac only contains 2 slots for ram and both are occupied at present so I require to sold old ram first then two new 8gb ram purchase.

What do you think about this?? Share your feedback and experience 🙂

Jun 23, 2017 5:27 AM in response to Siddharth3322

Hi, I do not think Apple Store will replace the SSD for you -- they would only replace with OEM drive (in this case, HDD) of your models.

However, if you go to Apple authorized service provider, they would do this for you (from HDD to SSD).

Now, here is the challenging part -- 2012 and 2013 iMac, both use the same memory modules. The max memory for both machines can take, is 16G (8G x 2). The tear-down process in order to reach the memory slots, would involve much intrigue steps and skills, that I highly discourage newbies to attempt this. (I only did it on my 2013 iMac --> that was why I bought 2015, 27" iMac for this reason).

To sum it up, if you only have the idea about letting Apple store, to perform this task -- I would think you would have too pull a lot of strings for this.

You might try local Apple Authorized Service Provider - they can also upgrade the memory too!

Make sure you get the Apple compatible memory (Mac has been known for VERY PICKY with what kind of memory), OWC and Crucial both companies have been very reputable for Mac memory.

Good Luck

Sam

Jun 23, 2017 5:39 AM in response to samtenor

Yes I will go for Apple Service Center regarding above mentioned changes.

I want to buy this ram for my iMac

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B009EH010E/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=733112647&pf_r d_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00505EZYW&pf_rd_m=A1VBAL9TL5WCBF&pf_rd_r =SD6KGGSJ8EJJAHVJTM4A

I hope this will work for iMac. what do you think ??

Really thanks for this important information because I want to update my 3 iMac like this if everything works good 🙂

Jul 21, 2017 9:49 PM in response to BDAqua

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to "BDAqua" for recommending the only solution that worked on my Macbook Air, after I have spent some money in buying a new cooler, which didn't make the noisy to stop. But the SSD Control Fan App did! Thank you. This silence I am experiencing after long days of loud is priceless. Thank you again, you made my day.

Aug 1, 2017 8:40 AM in response to BDAqua

I just had my iMac 2010 21.5 upgraded. I had 16GB (max) installed after working with 4GB and a new SSD 525GB. The fan was so loud that I could hear it in another room! This application worked very quickly. I choose the Auto setting and within 10 seconds the fan was quiet. Thank you so much for recommending this application! Oh and BTW...My iMac is running awesome. Love the upgrade and thankful I didn't spend $$ on a new one.

kmlacuesta

Apr 21, 2013 1:05 PM in response to KriNor

Hi, likely the new Drive doesn't have the Termal sensor.

Tukaine

Sep 23, 2012 10:59 PM

Since the late 2009 iMacs came out, replacing the hard drive has caused the internal Hard Drive Fan to start running at around 6000RPM.

This is due to Apple replacing the external Hard Drive temperature sensor with a proprietary firmware and using the drives internal sensor.
Replacement drives do not contain the firmware to deliver temperature data on the temperature sensor cable.
When the iMac does not receive a good signal from the hard drive it puts the fan at full speed to protect the drive.

If you replace your drive, your iMac will initially seem fine, but soon the fan will begin to speed up to full speed. Resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) will have a temporary effect, but again the fan will speed up.

Fixes people have used in the past included:

• Using smcFanControl and the terminal to set a MAX speed for the fan and writing scripts to start this after every sleep/restart.

• Shorting the temperature sensor cable (Not a possibility on 2011 iMacs) this tricks the iMac into thinking the drives temperature is very low, hence slow fan speed.

Both these fixes are less then perfect and leave the drive in a dangerous situation with no protection from overheating.

Another option people try is other Fan Control software. These programs will not work for this particular issue as they often only control the base speed, and if they do control the fans actual speed they rely on the temperature reported by the sensor which is now incorrect.

HDD Fan Control

HDD Fan Control works to fix this issue by reading the drives internal temperature using the S.M.A.R.T protocol and set the fans actual speed to a value good to protect the drive. 
It runs at startup and continually to always control the fan correctly, prevent the loud fan noise and protect the drive from overheating

Instead of HDDFan Control, get the free SSDFan Control

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

iMac fans run loud after hard drive replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.