Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVCHD, DVDs, and camcorders - Please help!

Hello Apple forums,

Today, I'm preparing for some upcoming amateur videography jobs, and I had some major questions about the compatibility of my software with the new technology. I'll make a list of the questions I had, and add any more details below after that.

What I've Got:

• 2007 iMac

• 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 4GB DDR2 RAM
    • Running OS X 10.8.3
  • Canon Vixia HF M50 camcorder (full specs here)

• Records in AVCHD (MXP, FXP, XP+, SP, LP)
    • Records in MP4 (limited to 30 minute segments, though)
  • Final Cut Express (latest version)

• VidConvert software (details here)

Questions:

1. With my new Canon camcorders, what file formats am I limited to import and work with in Final Cut Express? Are any of those specific file formats for AVCHD not compatible with Final Cut Express?
  2. Would I be better off recording in MP4 format? This is not preferred though because I'm limited to 30 minute segments.
  3. Most importantly… while file format would be safest for me to use if I go from camera -> FCE -> iDVD -> DVD+R disc?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I'll happily mark you answers for points if you help me in any way. Thanks in advance!

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 5:35 PM

Q 1.

The highest quality interlaced camera setting using AVCHD.

Q2.

Mp4 will not work with FCE directly and is best not used.

Q3.

iDVD will accept projects from FCE using AVCHD if exported as QuickTime Movie.

Note: use the exact matching Easy Setup in FCE before starting your Project.

Also 10.8.3 (Lion or Mountain Lion) are not supported with FCE. Uses have varying results.

The fact that it is loaded is a good start.

Al

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2013 5:35 PM in response to Justin: Mac Man

Q 1.

The highest quality interlaced camera setting using AVCHD.

Q2.

Mp4 will not work with FCE directly and is best not used.

Q3.

iDVD will accept projects from FCE using AVCHD if exported as QuickTime Movie.

Note: use the exact matching Easy Setup in FCE before starting your Project.

Also 10.8.3 (Lion or Mountain Lion) are not supported with FCE. Uses have varying results.

The fact that it is loaded is a good start.

Al

Apr 21, 2013 9:00 PM in response to Alchroma

Hey Alchroma,

1. I was messing around with some footage and imported it in seamlessly on all the formats into FCE. All the formats seem to be good.
  2. In that case, I will definitely stay away and avoid them altogether.
  3. Okay, that is also a relief.

Today, when I first started up FCE with the camera, it asked if I wanted my settings automatically adjusted for the camera, and I let FCE take care of it automatically, so I think I should be good there.

Yes, I think it was because I had it installed from 10.6.8, but hopefully I won't be having any issues with it.

Thank you for the quick response!

Apr 22, 2013 2:14 AM in response to Justin: Mac Man

Justin: Mac Man wrote:

Today, when I first started up FCE with the camera, it asked if I wanted my settings automatically adjusted for the camera, and I let FCE take care of it automatically, so I think I should be good there.

What is happening there is that FCE is best guessing (Open Timeline) your incoming footage settings to set a Sequence.

This is usually OK but manual setup is best.

FCE uses Easy Setups to set the Sequence Properties you will edit in.

The incoming footage should match exactly the Sequence setting, Easy Setups govern the Sequence.

Only new Projects/Sequences are affected by an Easy Setup change not existing ones.

When you edit the first clip into a Sequence and there is a mis-match FCE asks you the above question.

Two very basic but important things to know using FCE is:

1. Know what the camera footage is.

2. Match it to an Easy Setup.

This applies to the audio as well as video properties.

You can check the properties at any time by right clicking the Sequence icon in the FCE Browser and selecting Item Properties, same deal to check clips.

If these do not match, FCE will need continual rendering and editing will be a pain in the neck.

Al

AVCHD, DVDs, and camcorders - Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.