Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remote desktop from OS X 10.7.5 to Windows XP service pack 3?

How do I remote desktop form OS X Vs 10.7.5 to Windows XP services Pack 3. Microsoft Office for Macs 2011 with update 14.2.3 is installed on the Mac. I cannot find any instructions on how to set-up and use remote desktop with my desktop PC.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.5), Remote desktop to MS XP

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 2:19 PM

13 replies

Apr 21, 2013 5:18 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 & Barney -

I am a retire guy setting up a PC to give to my nephew who lives 700 miles away in a rural area. I am coahing the boy in math by using the Khan Academy web site. He gets internet service via Time Warner and I use Att Unverse.

There are no corporate servers or VPN, just my computer equipment a MacBook Pro laptop and the desktop PC running XP, which are both in my home office at the moment. I know the names of the PC and the MacBook Pro, and I am the adminstrator of both devices.

One of my goal is to be able to view the PC desktop while my nephew is using the Khan Academy web site so that I can help him improve his math skills (not a small task). Also, I will need to maintain the PC remotely and keep it running. No one at my nephew's place will have administrator rights on the PC. My intent is to keep the PC for educational use and set-up security approprate of young users.

The other goal is to set the PC up with a web cam so that we can talk (voice and video) with the family members at the boy's home. I plan on using g-chat or some other metod to establish voice and video via computers.

Sounds simple, however, the cross platform hook-ups with Mac Lion and Windows XP is proving quite challenging.

Do you have any other advice for me.

Thanks

Apr 22, 2013 4:24 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1, Barney & William-

Thank you for taking the time to advise me on how to accomplish my goals.

After a quick look at Teamview it has all the attributes to accomplish my goals. Given I have both devices, the Mac Laptop and the Windows XP desktop, in my homeoffice I can test Teamview before driving the PC to my family up north and setting up the PC.

If it works in my home office the only question that will remain is if the client software needs to be installed on the Internet service providers network (on the house side of the service provider's rotuer).

I gues that may be a good question for the Teamview techs.

I will update this message chain as I work my way through this challenge.

Thanks again.

Apr 22, 2013 5:42 AM in response to Fafanuche

the only question that will remain is if the client software needs to be installed on the Internet service providers network (on the house side of the service provider's rotuer).

The nice thing about TeamViewer.com and why it was suggested, is that it works very well across the internet and getting through home routers without any additional work on your part.

So once you have it installed on both your Mac and the Windows system, it should work when you deliver it to your nephew.

You can easily test this, by setting it up, then taking your Macbook Pro to a coffee shop or other local place that offers free WiFi and try connecting to the WIndows system back at you home. If it works, you know you have it all setup correctly. It should work the same when at your nephew's.

Apr 22, 2013 7:24 AM in response to Fafanuche

Fafanuche wrote:

Csound1, Barney & William-

Thank you for taking the time to advise me on how to accomplish my goals.

After a quick look at Teamview it has all the attributes to accomplish my goals. Given I have both devices, the Mac Laptop and the Windows XP desktop, in my homeoffice I can test Teamview before driving the PC to my family up north and setting up the PC.

If it works in my home office the only question that will remain is if the client software needs to be installed on the Internet service providers network (on the house side of the service provider's rotuer).

I gues that may be a good question for the Teamview techs.

I will update this message chain as I work my way through this challenge.

Thanks again.

You only need to install the Teamviewer clients on the 2 machines, nothing else will be needed in order to connect.

Apr 26, 2013 4:12 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks everyone for your advice and support.

TeamViewer did the trick I can now - remote control the PC from my laptop, view the PC window and observe my nephew on the khan Academy site and we have voice / video communications.

Set up was a little tricky; however, the TeamViewer tech staff helped me through the rough spots.

This issue / challange is offically closed.

Thanks again.

How do I remote desktop from OS X 10.7.5 to Windows XP service pack 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.