Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download speeds on iMac are significantly slower than on Macbook Air on same wireless network.

I recently switched my internet from Rogers cable to Teksavvy DSL. Until now, my cable modem had been directly connected to my Time Capsule (which is connected to all my hard drives and printers) which broadcasted the only wireless network in my house. Because of the switch in ISP, my modem can no longer be in the same room (As there are no phone jacks) and so I opted for a Zyxel modem/router combo from Teksavvy thinking that I'd be able to use my Time Capsule to join/extend the Zyxel created network and all my devices would be able to interact with each other.

I found out shortly after setting up that the Time Capsule can only extend another Apple router. So I went out and bought an Airport Express which I set up as the main wireless router (connected directly to the Zyxel) and had the Time Capsule extend the network.

Everything was fine and dandy until I noticed that my TV can't connect to the Express/Time Capsule network (though it can read the Zyxel built-in wireless just fine). Then I noticed that my iMac's downloads speeds are significantly slower than what I'm able to get on my Macbook Air.

It's as if my bandwidth is being throttled just for downloads. I get speeds of 4-10kbps on my iMac while my Air can get over 1Mbps on the same download. Browsing speeds are fine on both.

I'm not sure if this is relevent but I noticed that when I set up my Express and Time Capsule under Network>Router Mode it automatically set itself up as "Off (Bridge mode)". I'm pretty sure that when I was still using the cable modem that was directly connected to only the Time Capsule, the Router Mode was set to "DHCP and Nat" or "DHCP".

The other sideaffect of these changes is that everytime I try to access and transfer files to my drives that are connected to the Time Capsule, it freezes finder.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 1:17 PM

There are no replies.

Download speeds on iMac are significantly slower than on Macbook Air on same wireless network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.