Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV plays static for only one show? (It's Doctor Who, so it's important!)

So this is really odd, let's see if anyone can help me with this!

So, I recently purchaced the new episode of Doctor Who from my Macbook Air. I then went to my Apple TV and played it. No sound, only static (like obnxious static, as in I cannot hear anything but the static.) I had just finished watching another episode of Doctor Who before this (one I had already owned) and it worked fine. But, to be safe I streamed music from my Macbook to the Apple TV and that played fine. So, I know the sound is okay. I then played a movie on my Apple TV and it wored fine as well.

I went back to my computer, and played the epsiode of Doctor Who I bought, and the sound is fine. I tried to mirror it to my Apple TV and it gives me sound issues again. So pretty much my Apple TV hates this episode of Doctor Who. And yes, I can watch it on my Macbook, but I really like to watch Matt Smith in all of his glory on my flat screen. So, help?!

Also, just so you know:

I restarted the Apple TV

I reset All Settings on the Apple TV

I RESTORED the Apple TV

It's still happening!

Mac OS X, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 2:32 PM

I think this sounds like a problem with the file encoding.

See:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4986433?tstart=0

and

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4986560?tstart=0

Contact support at the expresslane link I posted in those threads.

AC

6 replies

Apr 22, 2013 7:24 PM in response to Jamiemichelle

The exact same thing was happening on my Apple TV. I purchased the latest episode of Doctor Who (Hide), and the video (picture) played fine, but the audio was just static.

I tried loading the episode on my iPad 2 and play it that way. After it loaded, it played fine, video and audio on my iPad 2's internal speaker. When I tried to AirPlay it to the Apple TV, the audio was static again. Even when I plugged my iPad 2 directly into the TV via HDMI converter cable, the audio was still static.

This is the ONLY episode of Doctor Who (and only digital content, EVER, since owning an Apple TV 3rd gen since its release) that played this way. All other content, Doctor Who, other TV shows, movies, and services (such as NetFlix & HuluPlus) all play audio just fine.

I did some research and ended up here on this thread.

I turned off Dolby Digital Audio as suggested and the audio worked fine. Problem solved, but I lost a couple hours to this nonsense. I call it "nonsense" because I found evidence that this problem has been documented and discussed since 2009 (including an article on Cnet). Stuff happens, technology isn't perfect, and people make mistakes, but a 4 year old problem still sending folks on wild goose chases for a fix? Not cool.

Oh well. At least I'm a little wiser for the trouble.

Apr 23, 2013 7:24 AM in response to ascii-T

I have never experienced this problem until the latest episode of Doctor Who (Season 7, Part 2, Epidose 4 (Hide). I have the latest generation Apple TV with the latest update. The show plays fine on the computer and other devices. This only happens on the Apple TV. It doesn't matter how I play the file.

I will try turning off Dolby Digital, but come on Apple! Your loyal customers are a bit disapppointed in you here! It's hard for us to continue to defend Apple against the naysayers and Microcrap disciples when this kind of thing continues to plague us.

My Apple TV plays static for only one show? (It's Doctor Who, so it's important!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.