12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 5:52 PM by Michel the drycleaner
Michel the drycleaner Level 2 (260 points)

Hi all.

I'm in the process of moving from a 10.7.5 iMac to a brand new iMac with 10.8.3.  Using a Time Machine backup.

I installed Java Version 7 Update 21 from Oracle (same as had been installed on the "old" iMac.  How come it didn't come over to the new Mac in the backup??? Hmmm...)  (I know!  I know!  it's because I didn't restore system info, just user profile...)

Tried launching an app that uses Java and it launched and ran fine.

Tried launching TD Ameritrade's Thinkorswim app, which I use extensively every trading day and it gives me a weird msg:

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 5.44.55 PM.png

My understanding (Oracle web site) is that you can't have both Java 6 and 7 installed at the same time.

However, Oracle also says that Java 6 is dangerous and that it's preferable to install Java 7...

So...  What should be the next step???

Thanks!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5), Power Mac G5 (Dual 1.8), old iMac,, iPod touch, iP
  • petermac87 Level 5 (7,365 points)

Michel the drycleaner wrote:

Hi all.

I'm in the process of moving from a 10.7.5 iMac to a brand new iMac with 10.8.3.  Using a Time Machine backup.

I installed Java Version 7 Update 21 from Oracle (same as had been installed on the "old" iMac.  How come it didn't come over to the new Mac in the backup??? Hmmm...)  (I know!  I know!  it's because I didn't restore system info, just user profile...)

Tried launching an app that uses Java and it launched and ran fine.

Tried launching TD Ameritrade's Thinkorswim app, which I use extensively every trading day and it gives me a weird msg:

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 5.44.55 PM.png

My understanding (Oracle web site) is that you can't have both Java 6 and 7 installed at the same time.

However, Oracle also says that Java 6 is dangerous and that it's preferable to install Java 7...

So...  What should be the next step???

Thanks!

If it says it requires Java 6 then it requires Java 6.

Pete

• Linc Davis Level 10 (192,897 points)

The Oracle Java 7 runtime is a web plugin only. To run standalone Java applications, you need the Java 6 runtime distributed by Apple. That's what you're being prompted to download. Both can be installed at the same time.

• g_wolfman Level 4 (1,120 points)

One can download and install a full JRE (or even the JDK) for Java 7 from Oracle.  That would provide both the ability to run standalone Java applications and get one off Java 6.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.h tml

The Oracle JDK is for developing standalone applications with a Java framework embedded. It doesn't support existing applications.

The JDK comes with the full JRE bundled in with the developer tools.  Not saying it's the best option (or even necessarily a good option for this use case)...just that it does provide the JRE.

Have you been able to run stanadalone Java applications with only the Oracle JDK installed? When I tried a few months ago, I could not.

• Michel the drycleaner Level 2 (260 points)

Hi Linc.

The people at TD Ameritrade (suppliers of Thinkorswim trading platform) confirmed that I should go ahead and click "Install" on that message.  Their software requires the Java 6 RJE.

Thanks for your response, though.  You were right.

You know, I'd like to say yes (I've always installed the JDK)...but my system has always had the Apple-provided Java installed as well.

So, I can't actually say that I've definitively started from a system that needed a JRE, installed only the JDK and then run wihtout any issues.

I think you'll find, if you test, that it doesn't work.

• mahadevan.narayan Level 1 (0 points)
  • bigjohn117 Level 1 (0 points)

BLUF:  Ameritrade is about to release a more compatible version of Thinkorswim.

In case anyone is still following this thread, I'll offer my experience. My issue started with repeated crashes in the thinkorswim application on a brand new Haswell rMBP. I called Ameritade and they asked me to reinstall Java from Apple's website here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

Since this appeared to be an update to Java 6, which I thought we aren't supposed to use anymore, I deleted the Java 1.6 jdk from

system/library/java/javavirtualmachines

... and then installed java 1.7 (aka Java 7 for anyone that doesn't realize it). That was a fail; the app wouldn't even start. No error message or anything. This probably has to do with Linc's explanation that Java 1.7 is only a web plugin. So, I reinstalled as per the apple kb article above, and now it works again (though still buggy).

The good news for Ameritrade traders is that tech support rep told me that a version of thinkorswim that is "compatible with Java 1.7" is being released "in the next few weeks". We'll see if that happens, and if so, if it's an improvement...

• Michel the drycleaner Level 2 (260 points)

Hi BigJohn.

When I moved to 10.9, I had the same problem.  Again.

Except that I pretty well stopped using ThinkorSwim (ToS).  I'm now using my broker's software exclusively (and that runs fine with Java 7 from Oracle).

(I had been using ToS because it supported an indicator that my broker's software did not.  But I have now moved to an indicator set that is supported by my broker, so don't really need ToS anymore.  I never really intended to trade using ToS (didn't like their fees, interface, etc.))

So, bottom line, I didn't install Java 6.

Regards and good luck!