Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thinkorswim now requires "a Java SE 6 runtime"

Hi all.

I'm in the process of moving from a 10.7.5 iMac to a brand new iMac with 10.8.3. Using a Time Machine backup.

I installed Java Version 7 Update 21 from Oracle (same as had been installed on the "old" iMac. How come it didn't come over to the new Mac in the backup??? Hmmm...) (I know! I know! it's because I didn't restore system info, just user profile...)

Tried launching an app that uses Java and it launched and ran fine.

Tried launching TD Ameritrade's Thinkorswim app, which I use extensively every trading day and it gives me a weird msg:

User uploaded file

My understanding (Oracle web site) is that you can't have both Java 6 and 7 installed at the same time.

However, Oracle also says that Java 6 is dangerous and that it's preferable to install Java 7...

So... What should be the next step???

Thanks!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5), Power Mac G5 (Dual 1.8), old iMac,, iPod touch, iP

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 3:14 PM

12 replies

Apr 21, 2013 3:17 PM in response to Michel the drycleaner

Michel the drycleaner wrote:

Hi all.

I'm in the process of moving from a 10.7.5 iMac to a brand new iMac with 10.8.3. Using a Time Machine backup.

I installed Java Version 7 Update 21 from Oracle (same as had been installed on the "old" iMac. How come it didn't come over to the new Mac in the backup??? Hmmm...) (I know! I know! it's because I didn't restore system info, just user profile...)

Tried launching an app that uses Java and it launched and ran fine.

Tried launching TD Ameritrade's Thinkorswim app, which I use extensively every trading day and it gives me a weird msg:

User uploaded file

My understanding (Oracle web site) is that you can't have both Java 6 and 7 installed at the same time.

However, Oracle also says that Java 6 is dangerous and that it's preferable to install Java 7...

So... What should be the next step???

Thanks!

If it says it requires Java 6 then it requires Java 6.

Pete

Jan 7, 2014 12:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

BLUF: Ameritrade is about to release a more compatible version of Thinkorswim.

In case anyone is still following this thread, I'll offer my experience. My issue started with repeated crashes in the thinkorswim application on a brand new Haswell rMBP. I called Ameritade and they asked me to reinstall Java from Apple's website here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

Since this appeared to be an update to Java 6, which I thought we aren't supposed to use anymore, I deleted the Java 1.6 jdk from

system/library/java/javavirtualmachines

... and then installed java 1.7 (aka Java 7 for anyone that doesn't realize it). That was a fail; the app wouldn't even start. No error message or anything. This probably has to do with Linc's explanation that Java 1.7 is only a web plugin. So, I reinstalled as per the apple kb article above, and now it works again (though still buggy).

The good news for Ameritrade traders is that tech support rep told me that a version of thinkorswim that is "compatible with Java 1.7" is being released "in the next few weeks". We'll see if that happens, and if so, if it's an improvement...

Jan 7, 2014 5:52 PM in response to bigjohn117

Hi BigJohn.

When I moved to 10.9, I had the same problem. Again.

Except that I pretty well stopped using ThinkorSwim (ToS). I'm now using my broker's software exclusively (and that runs fine with Java 7 from Oracle).

(I had been using ToS because it supported an indicator that my broker's software did not. But I have now moved to an indicator set that is supported by my broker, so don't really need ToS anymore. I never really intended to trade using ToS (didn't like their fees, interface, etc.))

So, bottom line, I didn't install Java 6.

Regards and good luck!

Thinkorswim now requires "a Java SE 6 runtime"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.