Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need original photo date vs. import date

When I bought a Macbook air in 2010 all my picture dates were changed from the date taken to the date imported.

1) Is there a way to get the original date back, I'm hoping someone can tell me it's stored somewhere?

Since then I noticed I have massive amounts of duplicates with my pictures... so I exported them and reimported them back in and now the import date is the date I performed the import vs. the date they were take (after the 2010 purchase, pictures taken after the 2010 purchase which had the date they were taken now shows the import date)

2) Is there a way to get the original date back (post 2010 import)?

FYI - I couldn't be more disappointed with the picture storage/orgainization, etc... vs. my old PC

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 6:11 PM

21 replies

Apr 22, 2013 12:31 AM in response to Annya475

The standard "Preview.app" on your Mac can also show you all kinds of IPTC and EXIF data for the image you are currently browsing, in adition to the exif viewer OT pointed to.

From Preview's main menu bar:

Tools > Show Inspector

Then look at the IPTC tab and the EXIF tab.

You can open your image easily in Preview right from iPhoto, if you use "File > Reveal in Finder".

Regards

Léonie

User uploaded file

Apr 22, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Annya475

You can correct the dates directly in iPhoto. If you look up the creation dates as shown above, you could use iPhoto's batch change command to reset the dates.

Select photos with a similar date in iPhoto's viewer and then use the command "Photos > Batch change > Set Date" to correct the date to the date you want.

Hopefully you will have many photos with a similar date, so that you can reset the dates of larger groups of photos all at once.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 22, 2013 10:10 AM in response to léonie

LeonieDF - This is helpful but I have 14,000 pictures that I would have to do that with and even though there are a bunch with the same date I'm hoping there is a more efficient way to see the creation date other than using batch change. Ideally if I could add the creation date as an option to sort on in the folder similar to how you have the option to sort by name or date motified as standard options. Also, I'm trying to stay away from iPhoto and maybe use Aperture instead - but right now before I load the pictures into any application I would like to fix the date 'issue'. But I appreciate your response!

Apr 22, 2013 10:46 AM in response to Annya475

Annya,

you can open your iPhoto Library with Aperture, without creating a new library, provided your iPhoto Versions and Aperture versions do match.

You never told us the iPhoto Version you are using.

But if you have the current iPhoto 9.4.3 and Aperture 3.4.4, you can simply use the command "File > Open Library in Aperture" from iPhoto and you can use Aperture to work with your current iPhoto Library and vica versa. See: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

This way you can gradually transit from iPhoto to Aperture, without a drastic cut. Just try the things in Aperture that you want to try, but you can always fall back on iPhoto. You will not need any additional space or a new library.

Léonie

Apr 24, 2013 12:25 PM in response to Annya475

Annya475 wrote:

When I bought a Macbook air in 2010 all my picture dates were changed from the date taken to the date imported.

1) Is there a way to get the original date back, I'm hoping someone can tell me it's stored somewhere?

Since then I noticed I have massive amounts of duplicates with my pictures... so I exported them and reimported them back in and now the import date is the date I performed the import vs. the date they were take (after the 2010 purchase, pictures taken after the 2010 purchase which had the date they were taken now shows the import date)

2) Is there a way to get the original date back (post 2010 import)?

FYI - I couldn't be more disappointed with the picture storage/orgainization, etc... vs. my old PC

since it has been three years since the problem occured there is no quick and easy solution that I know of

but for the futureYour description sounds liek multiple user errors - first off it sound like you imported an old iPhoto into a new one - NEVER do that

LN

Sep 29, 2013 1:36 PM in response to Annya475

I am in the sorta in the same situation as Annya475. Over the years I have collected quite a collection of photos and have gone and saved them many multiple ways, i.e. CDs, external hard drives, and on the computer. I seem to have bad luck in this field and have lost all or most of my photos on all 3 locations. My computers (I've had 5 different Macs) would crash and erase all data and would have to be factory restored or no longer work. My CDs would only apparently burn 1/3 or 1/2 of the photos that I would place on them, even though I would check right after to make sure the photos were there and they were. The very next time I would put the CD in, there were mostly gone. My many external hard drives that I bought would some how either get a virus and delete every thing or crash and no longer work. After this happened for quite a few years, I have managed to obtain some of the photos scattered through out my life. The set that I do have no longer have their original date from the day it was photographed. The photos are from May 2002 to Jan 2011 (I've spent hours trying to remember the general timeframe of each photo). Now that I have a working computer again, I am trying to put them on and put them in order, only to come and find that almost all are date stamped for April 14, 2010 at 7:23-25pm. A few have a different date as they show the day I downloaded them. How is it possible for all those years to be redone for this one date? My step father informs me that each photo has the original date embedded into their data no matter what. I have gone through and read this post and done each thing except Aperture (which I can't afford to buy). Upon using the EXIF Viewer, I only get a small box that says "No or invalid EXIF header." I have checked to make sure it wasn't a program error and on the photos that I currently have saved still to their original SD card show all info as the above photo shows. When I open the Show Inspector from Preview I only have the option of 2 sub menus, General and JFIF. I have tried going into iPhoto with different photos and am not able to get Batch change to be selectable. How can I find the original time stamp that is supposed to be embedded in the photo data? How can I change the photos back to their original photographed date?

Jan 7, 2014 2:44 AM in response to Bebe025

Happened to us as well. We now have over 60,000 photos, many of them are duplicates created through multiple migrations to new versions of iPhoto, doing backups, migrating user accounts to new laptops. Every move has been an adventure. Years ago when iPhoto moved to using a DB instead of the file system all of our dates got screwed up. Still no way to bulk fix the dates in iPhoto. So for example the photos of the births of our children are somehow associated with the wrong years/dates.

But now we just use the file system and organize everything by date. Use ImageCapture for import. If we want to use iPhoto for something then we import the photo(s) do what we need to do then export and done. Tedious but we can now find photos, backup/archive photos and edit photos without risking a mess. Turns out this is what every pro I've spoken with does.

I suspect that automator or applescript could be used to further automate the import process. Good luck!

Jan 7, 2014 2:57 AM in response to tomg15

Perhaps if every move was less of an adventure you wouldn't have so many issues. Migrating through new versions of iPhoto, backing up, migrating user acoounts... none of these things create duplicates or have any effect of the date of the photo if done correctly. Sounds like you have been importing libraries instead of moving them.

iPhoto has always used a database, and always used the file system. All your photos are stored in the file system, in folders, untouched in any way. Nothing has chnaged there at all since v1.

There is a way to bulk fix dates in iPhoto, been there since v6 in 2006, if I remember correctly.

Obviously we speak to different pros, but none of the ones I speak to uses a bare file system. All are using apps like Lightroom, Aperture, Portfolio etc, because the volume of images is just too great.

I wonder if you're confusing the file date with the Photo date?

There are two kinds of metadata involved when you consider jpeg or other image file.

One is the file data. This is what the Finder shows. This tells you nothing about the contents of the file, just the File itself.

The problem with File metadata is that it can easily change as the file is moved from place to place or exported, e-mailed, uploaded etc.

Photographs have also got both Exif and IPTC metadata. The date and time that your camera snapped the Photograph is recorded in the Exif metadata. Regardless if what the file date says, this is the actual time recorded by the camera.

Photo applications like iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Picasa, Photoshop etc get their date and time from the Exif metadata.

When you export from iPhoto to the Finder new file is created containing your Photo (and its Exif). The File date is - quite accurately - reported as the date of Export.

However, the Photo Date doesn't change.

The problem is that the Finder doesn't work with Exif.

So, your photos may have the correct date, and so does the file, but they are different things. To sort on the Photo date you'll need to use a photo app.

Feb 16, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Yer_Man

Unfortunately the Mac OS finder does not allow one to view JPEG photos in a folder by file creation date as is possible in Windows because Macs default to the modification date. On a Mac I have used Lemkesoft's GraphicConverter program as a work around. It does a great job in shifting/changing EXIF date/time stamps for batches of JPEG photos so that one can fix camera date/time setting errors and allows you to synchronize photos from different cameras. I have used it to change JPEG modification dates to creation dates for batches of JPEGs created from camera raw files. One simply selects pictures in a folder containing JPEGs within Graphic Converter's Browser, and then chooses the following two actions:

(1) Metadata EXIF, IPTC, ...

(2) Set EXIF Data to File Creation Date

After following this procedure, my photos sort by creation date in the Mac OS finder. This same procedure probably would be applicable to your situation.

Graphic Converter has been around on the Mac for many years and has a reasonably low license fee. Check it out on http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/image-editing-slideshow-browser-batch-conversion-meta data-and-more-on-your-mac/

Need original photo date vs. import date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.