Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do we really need antivirus for a mac?

If so are there any good ones for free?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 8:37 PM

4 replies

Apr 22, 2013 7:30 AM in response to fowzer

If you decide using AV software is best for your needs, then there are several free ones that do fine. A couple of these are Sophos Home Edition and ClamXav. Norton's iAntivirus is an alternative, but so far it does not have built-in autoupdate features so its definitions can be months behind others (I believe this is due to restrictions for App Store programs being updated through the App Store, but I'm not sure).

Keep in mind that Apple also includes a rudimentary malware scanner in OS X called XProtect, that runs behind the scenes; however, it is only automatically triggered by certain applications that download files (not all). I personally wouldn't rely upon it solely as the only malware scanner to use.

Apr 22, 2013 8:17 AM in response to Topher Kessler

it does not have built-in autoupdate features so its definitions can be months behind others (I believe this is due to restrictions for App Store programs being updated through the App Store, but I'm not sure).

Other anti-virus software available through the App Store, such as VirusBarrier Express and BitDefender, don't suffer from the same problem, so it's definitely not a limitation of the App Store. It's all down to incompetence at Symantec, in my eyes.

Do we really need antivirus for a mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.