Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lock screen password overwrites when connecting remotely

I am new to OS X, and Macs in general. I have a new Mac Mini (purchased April 2013). it is running OS X server, version 10.8.3. I upgraded it to 16 GB ram, and opted to get a bluetooth Apple Keyboard and Magic Pad.

Issue:

Everything works great, until I use any kind of remote connection. It doesnt matter what software I use - VNC, logmein, or Screen Sharing - everytime I connect to it I am only able to type one to three characters before they are automatically highlighted and overwritten with my next key stroke. I have tried connected from a PC, MacBook Air (2012), iPad 3rd generation, and an iPhone 4s. Each one has the same problem. The only work around I have is to watch the screen as I type, and use the arrow keys to move the curser to the end and continue typing. After several moments of careful typing I can log in, and then everything is fine. I do not have that typing issue any other time, only at the lock screen.

Ideas?

Thanks for your time and any asstance you can provide.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Mac Mini Server April 2013

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 8:04 PM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2013 6:00 AM in response to Nick DePauw

I have seen a similar problem but got round it using Timbuktu Pro to do the remote control. Does the Mac your trying to control have a physical keyboard plugged in? If so does it have a stuck key? or is something resting on the keyboard?

In my case it looked more like a key was auto-repeating some character, in yours it looks more like the backspace.

Apr 22, 2013 8:49 AM in response to Nick DePauw

I had been having it happen on a remote Mac and therefore could not be sure what was happening at the other end. I have coincidentally just had it happen on another Mac a MacBook running 10.8.3 and this time like you it also was deleting characters almost as fast as I typed them.

In this case I could not use Timbuktu Pro as it was not installed, but by typing the password as fast as I could I beat the frequency with which it was doing random deletions.

What versions of OS X have you experienced it on? Also what versions are you controlling from? Certainly looks like a bug. I think more on the controllee end rather than the controller end.

lock screen password overwrites when connecting remotely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.