Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Huge bug in iPhoto since 9.3

I used my iMac with Snow Leopard and iPhoto 9.2 and all was fine. Last Summer I bought my MB Retina with Mountain Lion and so I was able to use iPhoto 9.3. Several months I imported photos and then I installed aperture 3. I found out, that the focusing points are missing on all photos that are imported with iPhoto 9.3 or later. All photos imported with 9.2 or earlier were fine.

So I deleted all photos since summer and imported them again with Aperture. Luckily I'm not trusting Apple that much, so I stored all my original photos additional to an extra harddrive outside iPhoto.

I told the bug to the support, but it looks like, no one cares about. I've just updated to 9.4.3 and the bug is still there.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 8:51 PM

9 replies

Apr 22, 2013 1:21 AM in response to Yer_Man

If you only uses iPhoto, you will not see any differences, but as a real photographer you need the information, on which object you had focused. In Aperture (or any other professional software) you can make this focusing points visible, but only if they are not deleted by this buggy iPhoto. iPhoto says it stores the orignials without any changes, but if (for photographer) important information are deleted, it is crap.

Apr 22, 2013 1:26 AM in response to Harry468

Sheez, that's me found out, right. Obviously I'm not "a real photographer". Do you have really long lenses and stuff? I mean, how about a camera backpack? Can you, like focus and everything? Wow, I'm so impressed by you that I'll have to go lie down. iPhoto isn't - and never claimed to be - "professional software". It's geared for the home shooter. iPhoto never showed focus points in any version. It does store the originals without any changes. I suspect that you might have banged your head with a really, really long lens because you're making no sense.

Apr 22, 2013 1:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

... iPhoto isn't - and never claimed to be - "professional software"...

That's true, but since version 9.3. it uses the same library as Aperture. If you like to do the hobby stuff, you can use the easy iPhoto, and if you need more high level funkctions you switch over to Aperture - that's the advice from Apple.

... I suspect that you might have banged your head with a really, really long lens because you're making no sense.

Everything you don't understand, makes no sense in your point of view. There are plenty of things in the world, you will not understand, but believe me, they exist. 😉

Apr 23, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Yer_Man

... Why do you expect that iPhoto will show you all the things that Aperture does?

I don't expect that, but I expect, that iPhoto is not destroying data, during import, so that Aperture can't use it.

It was ok til version 9.2 and then it gets worse, but to discuss this issue with you makes as little sense as a discussion about colors with Stevie Wonder.

Jun 15, 2013 4:06 AM in response to Harry468

Hello Harry468,

please check the following, if iPhoto realy destroys the your photo data upon import, or if the problem is at any other point:

open Finder

rightclick on the iPhoto Library ->> leftclick show contents

you are now within the iPhoto Library

search the Masters or Original folder

within one of this folders you find your events and within the events the single photos

COPY one of these photos directly to the desktop and import

it directly from Aperture..

Are Focus Points correctly shown?

If yes, then iPhoto doesn´t destroy the data, but nevertheless the old workflow can´t be used, because importing to iPhoto seems to make it impossible to use the Points in Aperture.

And yes, I would also call this a bug, even if there are workarounds.

Huge bug in iPhoto since 9.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.