Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone5 does not have FaceTime,how can i activate/install it??pls help

i bought my iphone 5 in saudi and it has no facetime at all,i was forced to jailbriken it and it worked,then i decided to restore my iphone to its factory setting and now im having the same problem...is there any way to enable/activate or use facetime without jailbreaking again?pls help.any attention would be highly appreciated.thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 1:40 AM

14 replies

Apr 22, 2013 1:42 AM in response to etumak

etumak wrote:

i bought my iphone 5 in saudi ...

FaceTime in the Middle East

iPhones sold in Saudi Arabia and several other countries have FaceTime disabled.

etumak wrote:

..i was forced to jailbriken it ...

Sorry... But...

The discussion of Jailbroken Devices is against the Terms of Use of this Forum.

Unauthorized modification of iOS

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

Apr 22, 2013 7:16 AM in response to etumak

should i?because ive seen iphone5 here with facetime enabled...i was like, really??like seriously?! maybe its me,its my bad who bought the iphone5 which has disabled facetime where in i can buy one with this grat feature enabled.i should've known...anyways really appreciated all the help u guys shared with this discussion.tnks.

Jan 25, 2015 2:39 PM in response to KiltedTim

I Would like to raise on point those who are salling iPhones with FaceTime are salling it legally and they are magor shops like Jarir book store and eXtra electronics and they give warranty on it.

adding to that they give you a choice of device with or without FaceTime.

looking forwarde for Apple to support us as legal buyers from the Apple advised shops.

Jan 25, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Rashed.Aldossary

Apple will only help you when your government officially informs them they can sell iDevices with FaceTime in your country.

If those stores are giving a warranty that warranty is only good at their stores. Many of those iPhones are from other countries including the US, UK, Australia, etc. and if you try to get Apple warranty service for them in the KSA or anywhere other than where they were originally sold you will not be able to.

Jul 26, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Rashed.Aldossary

You are correct. It is 100% legal to buy and sell a device with FaceTime in Saudi. The reasons for the majority of devices being sold without FT is as follows.

Within Qatar and the UAE, all voip is licenced by one or two telecoms companies. As such, Apple would need to pay royalties for every device sold. It is therefore removed. So why KSA? Well the method for Apple to block FaceTime, is linked to the serial number. It is not done through actual location, or network you are using. KSA purchases most of their devices through the Apple distributor in UAE, which means most of the devices they receive have no FaceTime. Some stores, Jarir included, have often gone out and purchased devices from either Australia or the U.K., and sold them at a premium, due to FaceTime being enabled. Perfectly legal.

What in my opinion is not legal or moral, is the marketing of FaceTime on products that are known not to have it. This is however not done by Apple, as they do not market in KSA (regardless of how many apples and "i's" the store puts in their name.

Jul 26, 2015 7:31 AM in response to deanfromburry st edmunds

deanfromburry st edmunds wrote:

You are correct. It is 100% legal to buy and sell a device with FaceTime in Saudi. The reasons for the majority of devices being sold without FT is as follows.

Within Qatar and the UAE, all voip is licenced by one or two telecoms companies. As such, Apple would need to pay royalties for every device sold. It is therefore removed. So why KSA? Well the method for Apple to block FaceTime, is linked to the serial number. It is not done through actual location, or network you are using. KSA purchases most of their devices through the Apple distributor in UAE, which means most of the devices they receive have no FaceTime. Some stores, Jarir included, have often gone out and purchased devices from either Australia or the U.K., and sold them at a premium, due to FaceTime being enabled. Perfectly legal.

What in my opinion is not legal or moral, is the marketing of FaceTime on products that are known not to have it. This is however not done by Apple, as they do not market in KSA (regardless of how many apples and "i's" the store puts in their name.

Opinions on legality are irrelevant, either it is, or it isn't.

Jul 26, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Csound1

My friend. 90% (including that figure) of what you read on the internet is opinion or guesswork. I always point out which portions of my statements are opinion, so that a person knows not to quote or take as fact. If that is not to your liking, please ignore everything after the clearly stated warning of "opinion"

Regarding the rest:

Not illegal to sell FaceTime enabled devise in KSA

appologies if that was not clear enough.

my iphone5 does not have FaceTime,how can i activate/install it??pls help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.