Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture instead of iPhoto?

Hope this is not a daft question, if so please forgive me. I have just purchased Aperture and woukd like opinions on the pro's and con's of rerplaceing iPhoto completely with Aperture? Is this advisable or do the two applications do completely different things?

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 6:15 AM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2013 6:31 AM in response to Andrew Allsop

I have just purchased Aperture and woukd like opinions on the pro's and con's of rerplaceing iPhoto completely with Aperture?

Aperture and iPhoto are designed as tools for the same tasks; Aperture is the more elaborate application, that will give you more options and more control, a better raw fine tuning, and more advanced editing tools. It is more suitable for very large photo libraries and has better tools to design and organize your photo library. Only it will take more time to learn, what is possible and how to adapt Aperture to your needs.

But you do not have to jump right in - you can migrate gradually. Aperture and iPhoto can share their libraries. There is no need to ever abandon iPhoto. You can simply open your iPhoto Library in Aperture and get going. Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

And you want to do things that Aperture cannot do, e.g. print cards, open your Aperture library in iPhoto. Keep iPhoto around, see:

Keep iPhoto - It May Come in Handy!

Regards

Léonie

Apr 22, 2013 7:04 AM in response to léonie

Thank you Léonie for your very helpful advice. I intend to do as you sugest and migrate gradually as I want to annotate my photographs as I go, it will be a long job but worth it I think. I think what I am most concerned about is the issue of disc space, if I keep both applications I am afraid that disc space will be compromised drasticaly, but am I right in thinking, (following your posting) that the library is not duplicated but shared?

Apr 22, 2013 7:10 AM in response to Andrew Allsop

The library will be shared; only the space for the two applications will be needed extra. iPhoto 9.4.3 requires 1.58 GB, that is not much, and you really may need iPhoto one day to unhide photos you have forgotten to unhide, or to open an old iPhoto book, or even may need to open an old iPhoto library, that Aperture cannot open, because it was created by an earlier iPhoto version.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 22, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Andrew Allsop

Great, Andrew. Good luck with Aperture.

I think what I am most concerned about is the issue of disc space, if I keep both applications I am afraid that disc space will be compromised

Just take care not to create a new Aperture library.

When viewing your library in iPhoto simply use the command "File > Open Library in Aperture" to switch to Aperture, and in iPhoto "File > Open Library in iPhoto".

You can also simply launch both applications with the ⌥-key held down. This will show you the available libraries to open.

Good Luck.

Léonie

Aperture instead of iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.