Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black screen itunes

itunes opens as a black screen.

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 12:37 AM

seems there is a bug with the full screen mode in the new iTunes 12.2. I just spent a bit of time with Apple Support, and they didn't have a fix and were not aware of the bug, but i managed to sort it out by :

- uninstalling iTunes (drag the icon from the dock to the trash, empty trash, don't worry won't delete your music library)

- go to iTunes.com and downloaded 12.2 again, re-install

- start iTunes, and even if you get the black screen again, use Command-Tab to go back to another app (switch to another non-full screen app)

- click on iTunes icon in dock (may have to do this a couple times) to switch back and bring iTunes to the forefront again

if you left iTunes in full screen mode last time before you updated to 12.2, it is still set in full screen mode and tries to go full screen when you first start 12.2 for the first time - problem arises. also try using Option + Command to start iTunes (starts it in Safe Mode) as that may reset the full screen mode option.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2015 12:37 AM in response to mtalle54

seems there is a bug with the full screen mode in the new iTunes 12.2. I just spent a bit of time with Apple Support, and they didn't have a fix and were not aware of the bug, but i managed to sort it out by :

- uninstalling iTunes (drag the icon from the dock to the trash, empty trash, don't worry won't delete your music library)

- go to iTunes.com and downloaded 12.2 again, re-install

- start iTunes, and even if you get the black screen again, use Command-Tab to go back to another app (switch to another non-full screen app)

- click on iTunes icon in dock (may have to do this a couple times) to switch back and bring iTunes to the forefront again

if you left iTunes in full screen mode last time before you updated to 12.2, it is still set in full screen mode and tries to go full screen when you first start 12.2 for the first time - problem arises. also try using Option + Command to start iTunes (starts it in Safe Mode) as that may reset the full screen mode option.

black screen itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.