Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find plugin for Windows Media Player in MacPro

In my previous PowerBook G4 I have been able to access TV newscasts from Europe, in streaming video, especially from Channel France 2. To do this, I have used Microsoft's Windows Media Player 9 for MacOS X, which comes with an asx plugin and it works fine. When I installed WMP in my new MacPro, the plugin was not installed. I queried Microsoft on how to solve this problem and I was informed that Microsoft no longer supports WMP 9 for the Mac and has no plans to upgrade it. Consequently, my alternative could be found in Windows Media Player components for Quicktime by Flip4Mac. This plugin allows you to play Windows Media Player files in the Quiktime player directly. I went to the FlipMac web site and downloaded it only to discover that the existing version will work only for G4s, not Intel Duo Macs.

Microsoft's media player 9 for the Mac is being used internationally for streaming video.

Does anyone know of an alternative plugin that would work and where do I find it?

iMac G4, PowerBook G4 and MacPro Intel Core Duo Mac OS X (10.4.6)

iMac G4, PowerBook G4 and MacPro Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 27, 2006 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2006 5:33 PM

There is flip for mac and VLC

http://www.videolan.org

Give this web site a look see.
5 replies

May 30, 2006 3:57 PM in response to Donald Worrell

There is flip for mac and VLC

http://www.videolan.org

Give this web site a look see.

Your solution makes sense. But when I downloaded and installed VLC Media Player for Macintosh, I found that one needs to have a developer's experience to figure out how to make it work. It isn't as simple as Windows Media Player 9 which works easily after you determine Preferences. Video streaming from news outlets is instant. Instructions from videolan on how to use its media player are confusing. Is there a simple way or easy steps to set up VLC to play streaming video from network news outlets with player embedded in their web site? That's all I am interested in. Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

How do I find plugin for Windows Media Player in MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.