Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to format MyBook Live to HFS+

I purchased two MyBook Lives last year for use back up drives. Since then I've decided to get rid of my PC and switch to Mac.

I want to use Carbon Copy Cloner to create bootable, disk image backups, but it requires the network drive to be formatted to HFS+. It seems Disk Utility requires the network drives to be direct cabled to the computer before it will allow you to reformat them.

Is there a way to directly connect a MyBook Live (ethernet cable only) to my MacBook Air 2011 in order to reformat the drive to HFS to use with Carbon Copy Cloner? Do I need to take it to a friends MacBookPro instead?

Any suggestions or alternative solutions greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 8:40 AM

Ethernet drives can only be formatted with a utility specifically designed to work with them and created by the drive's manufacturer; manually putting them in a regular enclosure and formatting them there may cause the original device's hardware to be unable to read it.

(81436)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2013 8:40 AM in response to robtdown

Ethernet drives can only be formatted with a utility specifically designed to work with them and created by the drive's manufacturer; manually putting them in a regular enclosure and formatting them there may cause the original device's hardware to be unable to read it.

(81436)

Apr 25, 2013 7:03 PM in response to Niel

Sorry, bit of a mac newbie...creating a disk image is definitely my goal, to do this, do I need to:

1. format all of the MyBookLive drive as Mac Os Extended (Journaled), or can I
  2. create & format a partition of the MyBookLive drive as Mac Os Extended (Journaled), or
  3. could Carbon Copy Cloner just create a disk image on the MyBookLive with whatever its current formatting is?

Thanks for your time on this!

How to format MyBook Live to HFS+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.