Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does ios 6.1.2 capitalize each line?

Since 6.1.2,

each time I press return while typing text on my iPhone or iPad, it capitalizes the

first letter of the line.

How can I suppress that annoying "new feature" that has been imposed?

Before 6.1.2, auto-capitalization did work for sentences after a period, question or exclamation marks,

which makes sense, but now it does this even after a return.

how do i split a sentence so it continues without capitalizing the first letter of the new line?
Very upsetting.

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 8:15 AM

4 replies

Apr 22, 2013 8:20 AM in response to sjordi

That is expected behavior. Ordinarily, you would only press Return to start a new paragraph. New paragraphs, by convention, start with capitals. What do you mean by "split a sentence"?

If you look at your post, you'll see that the text flows oddly, with strange breaks. This is quite possibly because you are pressing return at places it's not needed. The iPhone is not a typewriter. You don't need to press return to get to the next line. It will don that all on it's own.

Best of luck.

Apr 22, 2013 8:30 AM in response to sjordi

Yes I know this,

but I want that expected result. In Memo, I may want to split the line myself.

I never write continuously on some topics and want to be in control of my

messages.

Escpecially in emails not destined to the Apple World.

Up to 6.1.1 it did capitalize only when appropriate.

Gee! I should never have upgraded.

What upstes me is that behavior is changed without warning and now way

to get back.

The simplest way would be to offer this as an option, not force it on the users.

why does ios 6.1.2 capitalize each line?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.