Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The SD card reader won't import images to the iPad. I purchase 10 months ago, and haven't had a problem with it until today. How do I remedy this problem? I'm about the go out of town and prefer not a travel with my laptop.

My SD card reader won't import images from the SD card. I purchased this product 10 months ago and have had no problem with it up to now. How do I remedy this problem. Using the product allows me to travel without a laptop ...Please help!

iPad

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 8:32 AM

Have you tried to give your device a reset? Sometimes that helps with glitches. Hold down the sleep and home keys, past when you see the red power down slider and until you see the silver apple. Let it reboot and try again.

ALso, the card reader will only see files that are formatted correctly. If you just took the images from your computer and put them onto the card, then it won't work. They have to follow a strict naming convention. There has to be a folder named DCIM on the card and then all those images have to have a file name of exactly 8 characters, DSC_3857 for example. Your camera makes this naming structure but if you manually put the photos on that card you may not have replicated it.

Is this a card you've used before? If it's a new card and is empty then the iPad won't read it. Also if it's SDXC it won't read those either (XC cards use a file structure that the iPad can't decipher)

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2013 8:32 AM in response to yostitch

Have you tried to give your device a reset? Sometimes that helps with glitches. Hold down the sleep and home keys, past when you see the red power down slider and until you see the silver apple. Let it reboot and try again.

ALso, the card reader will only see files that are formatted correctly. If you just took the images from your computer and put them onto the card, then it won't work. They have to follow a strict naming convention. There has to be a folder named DCIM on the card and then all those images have to have a file name of exactly 8 characters, DSC_3857 for example. Your camera makes this naming structure but if you manually put the photos on that card you may not have replicated it.

Is this a card you've used before? If it's a new card and is empty then the iPad won't read it. Also if it's SDXC it won't read those either (XC cards use a file structure that the iPad can't decipher)

Jun 7, 2017 5:28 AM in response to yostitch

I had the same issue with my new iPad Pro today with a new Apple card reader. I was trying to import photos from my PC to an sd card, but they would not then import to the iPad. I then tried copying the photos from the PC into the digital camera file DCIM/100 Canon folder in the card rather than directly onto the card. It all then worked as it should.

Clearly the IOS system can only read from such a folder on the card.

Apr 22, 2013 8:47 AM in response to yostitch

As far as i know, the camera connection kit can only read photos that were directly written on it from the digital camera, so no photos that we transferred from a computer to the SD card. Even photos that were written on the SD card from the digital camera, then transferred to a computer and transferred back to the SD card can't be read by the camera kit.

Does that information help ?

Apr 22, 2013 1:20 PM in response to yostitch

Are you seeing the photo thumbnails on your iPad but they just won't import?

Try a different SD card & see if it works.

Try this - Reset the iPad by holding down on the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons. (This is equivalent to rebooting your computer.)

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Dec 30, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Skydiver119

Such a shame that the ipad only accepts photos named with an 8-character name! I just purchased my ipad, and love using it to display my photos. But I have renamed all my computer archive of photos (1000's of them) with very explicit names which facilitate word searches. For instance, I might name one "Tom John Mike July 4 beach party.jpg". As such, it is instantly findable in a program such as Picasa. How can I replicate this functionality in the ipad?

David

Dec 30, 2015 2:53 PM in response to David VF

How can I replicate this functionality in the ipad?

You can't directly as IOS will not support the long file names. About all you can do is organize the image files into separate folders. You cannot use sub-folders as only the top level folder is supported. Images in the sub-folders will appear as if they were in the top level folder.

The SD card reader won't import images to the iPad. I purchase 10 months ago, and haven't had a problem with it until today. How do I remedy this problem? I'm about the go out of town and prefer not a travel with my laptop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.