Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 Macbook pro continues to have issues what should I do?

In 2011 I purchased an early 2011 2.2 i7 Macbook Pro new. Not long after I bought it I began to have graphics issues with the computer. The computer was sent into Apple and a logicboard replacement was done. I continued to have intermediate issues with the computer after I received it back. These issues became worse over time, eventually to the point of the computer not booting up. In addition to serious graphics issues and random shutdowns. This eventually led me to take my macbook on April 12th 2013 back Apple.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

A repair was done in which the logicboard was replaced again. I received my Mac back on April 19th. Today April 22 my Mac shutdown again. Also some of the graphics issues from much earlier have come back. Some scrambled graphics and some tearing in apps appear on the screen. The computer shut down on me twice on two seperate occassions today. For no reason it just shut off. It use to do this before the logicboard replacement. I went ahead and submitted an error report to Apple after reboot.

I am a design professional and am associated with Appsterdam. The repair on my mac took a week and I feel far behind in my work. However just at the time that I am trying to catch up on my work. This Macbook pro has begun to go out on me again. I am so upset that I bought a unit from a bad batch or something. They have already replaced the logicboard twice as a result of these shutdowns and graphics issues.

I don't know what to do. Any information about what my next step should be would be greatly appreciated.

Macbook Pro i7 2.2, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 8:59 AM

20 replies

Apr 29, 2013 3:42 PM in response to modern artist

Contact Apple/AppleCare yet again. Calmly explain to them what you've explained here. I would ask for a new machine or at least a loner while your's is repaired again. If you don't get satisfaction, ask to speak to a manager or someone higher up. Be firm, but polite.

Curious if it's the original RAM. Doubt that would be the cause, but something to look into.

Given what you've explained here, I would suspect a cable going to the display, since it doesn't appear to be the logic board.

May 2, 2013 12:20 PM in response to modern artist

I took my Macbook pro into the Apple store and they promised to repair it. This was the third time I have taken the mac in for graphics problems. I received it back today after I called and spoke with a tech at the Apple store. it was explained to me that 'bad or mixmatched ram' is at fault for the graphics issues and random shutdowns. He said that the mac's ram is responsible for controling the graphics and during boot ups. My friend told me that this may not be the case. I honestly dont know what to think these days. I went to pick up the computer. At the Apple store today the Apple representative explained to me that they reinstalled the software. When I booted it up, right in front of the rep the macbook crashed and rebooted again. There were also graphics glitches. I showed the Apple rep and he told me that that the shop was busy and that he's seen all kinds of errors as a result of bad ram. And that i should replace that. The ram I have in the Macbook pro was purchased in late 2011 from Bestbuy. of a brand endorced by apple and sold along with apple products in the Apple section of Bestbuy. I bought a pair of the same manufacturer, 4 gb sticks x2 for a total of 8gb. I will go again and replace the ram tomorrow and see if the graphics issues go away.

May 8, 2013 2:53 AM in response to modern artist

I am waiting now for my memory modules to arrive. I ordered 16 gb of high quality memory approved for apple devices.

Two days ago my Mac cut out on me lost 6 hours worth of flash development work. The shutdown corrupted my FLA files right in the middle of my work. I am highly Doubtful that this memory upgrade will solve my Mac's random shutdown, freezups and graphics problems that have existed since the day I bought this 'product'. I am also doubtful at this current moment, given all that has happened and the record of this mbp's issues from the day one, that I will ever buy another Macbook Pro or any Apple hardware product again. My customer service experience has not been so pleasant nor the ongoing issues with this computer. The towel is set to be thrown and this computer will be placed up for sale soon. I will have the new memory installed when it arrives and will see if what the Apple store tech said is true about the ram being the sole reason for my computer graphics and shutdown/app crash problems. At the time I bought the highest end Macbook pro available under the impression that it would be reliable at least 70% of the time. However it has failed me since day one. I am deeply disappointed and so are many of my collegues in development here at Appsterdam who also are affected by my negative experience. I don't know what is happening with quality control at Apple or with customer service. I am not just an average user. I use my mbp in my development work and it is very important that my computer hardware is reliable at least part of the time. I feel very let down.

2011 Macbook pro continues to have issues what should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.