Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion Server Setup Software Update

I did a search but could not find an answer to my specific question.

I am new to Mac Server. I am trying to learn as I go as the tech person at a small rural school.

We bought a Mac Mini Server with 10.8 out of the box. The computer will be used periodically on a cart to run configurator for iPad syncing. But the rest of the time I want it to send software updates to the 12 laptops that are in the building (and the other 12 that are a few miles away in our other building if possible).

I am lost on how to set things up to get this to work.

I created every computer with a non-admin local user and an admin user that they do not know. I use ARD to push updates for other things and to do remote support but I have not been able to figure out how to get the software update server to work.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 12:57 PM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2013 3:47 AM in response to wcormode

Assuming you have configured the clients to use your internal software update server, you would then use ARD to issue the softwareupdate command on the remote systems.

As you discovered, there is two ways to do this. You can

(A) download the updates to your control machine and then push them to the clients via ARDs install function or

(B) enable the Software Update service, configure the clients to talk to your update server, and then issue a remote command (man softwareupdate for full details) on the workstations

And while your environment is pretty small, keep JAMF on your radar. Once you get to about 50 manageable devices, JAMF becomes economically feasible.

At your size, ARD can clearly handle the deployment. You just need a little creativity and attention to detail to track when systems are offline.

Apr 23, 2013 6:07 AM in response to wcormode

The service you need to learn about is Profile Manager. That's the tool you should be able to use to update remote iPads and MacBooks. If you're going to be using it for the MacBooks you might as well use it for the iPads as well, which means you won't need to use Configurator.

Documentation for Profile Manager is under 'Manage Users' (which isn't really what it does) here:

https://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/10.8/

You also want to use Software Update Server, though this is not related to Profile Manager. You can find it under 'Other services' at the end of

https://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/10.8/

Mountain Lion Server Setup Software Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.