Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

viewing both RAW and JPEG files in iPhoto (or somehow on a Mini)

I'll be traveling later this year and I'm looking to get a tablet so I can view and do some light editing of my images while I'm on the road.

If I use the new Apple SD card reader to download image files from my camera to the iPod Minin, it is my understanding that by default it brings over both the RAW and JPEG versions of the same images (my camera is taking both types with each image).

Will these then show up as two separate images in iPhoto? The reason I'm asking is because if I have to bring over the RAW files, I want some way of then deleting them off my iPad because they take up to much HD space.

No one I've talked to at Apple seems to know if there's a way to bring over just the JPEG files I want when using the SD card reader, which seems like a huge oversight in functionality to me.

Thanks. David

iPad, Mini

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 2:05 PM

This is what Apple says, how raw files are handled, once imported:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5182

You will only see the jpeg, the raw will be hidden.

But have look at this work-around: Re: How can I just import my jpeg (not raw) to my iPad?

Regards

Léonie

9 replies

Apr 22, 2013 2:29 PM in response to Ralph9430

If I understood David correctly, his main concern is how to get rid of the raw and only to keep the jpegs on the iPad, if both are imported.

I don't have my iPad right now; do you know, Ralph, if the iPad allows to selectively only import the jpegs? If I remember correctly, there was no import option to prevent the import of the raw, when the card contained raw+jpeg pairs.

Apr 22, 2013 2:41 PM in response to léonie

Thanks to all.

Leonie, you do have my issue correct.

As far as I can tell, the iPad only lets you copy over the Raw+JPEG pair of files (when using the Apple SD card reader), sort of treating them as one entity. There may be an option to only bring over the JPEGs but I haven't heard of it.

Another 'work-around' someone mentioned in another discussion is to use an app like Photo Manager Pro, which would let me view the different files, including seeing their size and types, and then be able to delete the RAW files, so all I have left are the JPEGS.

I have an email into the developer of this app, asking if it can be used in this way.

This seems a lot of work and fuss for a device that supposed to be easy to use! Makes me want to start looking at Android tablets again.

Thanks again, David.

PS - I don't know if you can work with RAW files in iPhoto, but I do know that RAW file types are recognized by the iOS, and new RAW file types are added all the time. I already checked to see that my camera's raw files are on the list.

Apr 25, 2013 6:36 AM in response to léonie

As far as I know there is no easy way to select to import just the jpeg file and leave the raw file on the card.

I was also not aware the iPhoto for iOS edits raw files. But the Apple Support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5182) seems to ily that the raw file is edited and the result is output as a jpeg.

So I'm a little confused.

When I shoot photos with my camera (5D MKII) I usually shoot RAW plus jpeg. When I go to import these using the Camera Connetion Kit connected to my camera I do not see an option to select RAW, jpg or both. I only see one version of the photo which I assume to be the jpg. I never delete the photos from the card though and I always save the RAW files to my computer for later processing.

I've never imported photos that were shot in RAW only. Photos like these have a jpg imbedded in the RAW file but do not have a separate jpg file as far as I know. There may be a difference here.

Apr 25, 2013 6:58 AM in response to Ralph9430

I was also not aware the iPhoto for iOS edits raw files. But the Apple Support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5182) seems to ily that the raw file is edited and the result is output as a jpeg.

The documents suggests that the raw files are edited, but if you look closely, you'll see that is not the case:

When editing a RAW image in iPhoto, the edits are derived from the embedded JPEG, and saved in JPEG format.

iPhoto really only reads the embedded jpeg and edits the jpeg. I doubt that IOS includes any raw conversion tools at all. My iPad will even import raw images from my Lumix FZ28, that are are not supported in iPhoto on the Mac and let me edit them.

Raw files on the iPad are a waste of space, unless you want to use the iPad as a backup of the card, until you can import the raw on your computer.

Apr 25, 2013 7:44 AM in response to léonie

Leonie, you have pretty much confirmed what I found out as well.

When using the Apple SD card reader there is no way to only import JPEG files when there are corresponding RAW files on the card. The iOS or photo import app treats them as one image and imports both files together, regardless of the fact that most apps will not read or edit the RAW files and also that they take up a huge amount of space.

I've only found one way of getting rid of the Raw files, but still 'keeping' the Jpegs: import them all to the iPad, then edit the images in an app like Snapseed, then do a 'save as' (which Snapseed does by default) so you've created new Jpeg files; you can then go back and delete the originals.

That seems like a whole lot of work to get around the iPad's lack of functionality, and because of this I'm looking at an Asus Nexus 7 tablet instead. Besides all this, the Nexus allows me to copy files back to a flash drive or memory card, adding to it's usefulness.

I think this is a huge design flaw on Apple's part. It's one they could easily fix by giving you a choice to only importing the Jpeg files, or just Raw or both. Not a big deal really.

I sort of grok the 'paradigm' behind it, which is to have people work with data, images, or projects, and not files. But in this case, it is not serving people, especially more serious photographers. It makes me suspect if the developers even asked photographers what they would need from the iPad--sort of placing it back in the toybox, as opposed to being a real tool for photographers.

Regards, David.

Apr 25, 2013 7:47 AM in response to Ralph9430

Ralph, as far as I've been able to find out, when you import images from your card or camera, you are importing both the JPEG and RAW files, which the iPad app has sort of morphed into one image. (Which is part of the reason I started this discussion in the first plant.)

See my recent post about the only work-around I've found. I hope Apple will reconsider this and give us more options as to which files we import from our camera or SC card.

Apr 25, 2013 2:02 PM in response to léonie

Thanks leonieDF,

This confirms my original thinking. Guess I didn't read the support doc's comments thoroughly enough.

I agree that storing RAW files on the iPad is a waste of time. Generally I use the Camera Connection Kit to copy photos I might want to do a quick edit on followed by a share to Facebook or send in an email. I always leave all files on my cameras card. I always carry plenty of cards for what ever trip I'm on to enable me to keep all files in their original format.

After I've viewed and edited some files on my iPad, I might she the ones I might want on the iPad to the Camera Roll. Then I will delete all the others.

When I return home and can connect to my computer I will download all the original files and separate the jpgs into a subfolder of the folder containing the RAW files. I will then backup all the files to my primary and secondary backup external hard disks. After I know I have the three set of files, I will reformat the cards in my camera.

viewing both RAW and JPEG files in iPhoto (or somehow on a Mini)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.