Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I develop an iOS app that can download multiple free iBooks that I publish and make them available within the iBooks app?

Is it possible for a self-developed iOS app to download iBooks from our server and make the books available to the iBooks app?

My organization is evaluating publishing some free training manuals / textbooks as iBooks made with Apple's "iBooks Author" software. We don't necessarily want to use the iTunes Store for distribution because of the semi-sensitive nature of the content. To distribute the books to users with iPads, we've thought of using MDM software, a webpage, or an iOS app. The reasoning behind an iOS app is that the app would be a "download manager", making it much easier for a user to download all 42 books all at once. A user would install our "free training manual download manager" iOS app and use it to authenticate to a our server app that would serve the books, the end result being the books available via the iBooks app.

Thanks,

Ted

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 1:23 PM

5 replies

Apr 22, 2013 2:02 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

Actually Apple lets self-publishers distribute iBooks outside of the iTunes Store, as long as the iBooks are free (no cost to user).

What I'm wondering is if it's possible for a custom iOS app to side-load iBooks so that they're available to a user within the iBooks app.

If not, we'll either post the iBooks for download from our website or we'll use MDM software to push the iBooks to MDM-enrolled iPads.

Ted

Apr 22, 2013 2:41 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

Actually, my question that you're responding to is posted within the "Developer Forums" section of the Apple Support Communities. Should be a lot of programmer types here ... that said, I don't expect many programmers to have tried to develop the specific kind of functionality I've described -- for the reasons you've mentioned. However, anything's possible!

Ted

Can I develop an iOS app that can download multiple free iBooks that I publish and make them available within the iBooks app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.