Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrongly told by provider phone was unlocked...bought it...now how do I unlock it as vodaphone wont help but the phone is not registered as stolen or anything!!??please help..had it for a month now and they just wont help me!!

to cut a long story short. I was interested in an i-phone... got the details..checked them all.. on the phone and with the provider, VODAPHONE... told unlocked, not stolen etc etc. proceeded to buy the phone...new sim topped up £10 only to find it wouldn't work...

Went into vodaphone store..been running around following thier advice..(they said I need a friend who is a customer on vodaphone to get passed the unlocking with a vodaphone code.. and they would do it for free given the circumstances...so i run errands go back and forth doing as they asked...got nowhere) SO IT IS NOW A MONTH LATER..and after complaining and complaining to thier email site and repeatedly asking for help in store..I am stumped as what to do and just have a glorified ipod. I WILL NOT BE FORCED TO REMAIN ON THE VODAPHONE NETWORK given the situation they have put me in and thier unwillingness to help so i refuse to use the phone with vodaphone... BUT WHAT can i do PLEASEEEEEEE? all they keep on suggesting is that I get the original owners details but he is not answering anything...and the phone is not registered as stolen etc so what is the problem!?

As you can imagine I am really peeved by the whole thing as I actually carried out all the necessary checks, and whilst the phone was not bought directly from vodaphone, I went to them as the provider, to find otu about unlocking etc as it is always advised to do so..and it was them that gave me the wrong information but they still will not resolve the issue. I have even sent them phone records to confirm when I rung and the name of the invalid who told me the phone was unlocked in the first place. I really would much appreciate any help as they are ignoring my emails now.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 4:23 PM

8 replies

Apr 23, 2013 5:50 AM in response to bhazel

What would you advise me to do then...? sell the phone on.. pay to unlock it... ? What would you do in my situation..? i dont want to pay to unlock it.. as it's expensive..and i dont know what this means for the phne as it not the legitimate way.. will apple not do anything if I tlak to them and explain? I mean people sell phones all the time so this cannot be the first time it has happend...? and surely this is why the blacklist was set up.. and this phoen isnt stolen or anything, the guy just wont reply! do i not have any consumer rights or anything..

thankyou for your help though!

Apr 23, 2013 8:53 AM in response to gemmab29

gemmab29 wrote:

I unlocked my vodaphone iphone by getting a pay as you go sim, topping up with £20, and vodaphone took the credit and unlocked it.

I found they were quite helpful!

That is the way most UK carriers treat PAYG customers O2 certainly will do the same once they can see the iPhone active on their network and once the requisite charge is loaded on sim they will process the unlock request

Apr 24, 2013 8:31 AM in response to princessroyl

What I am saying is ..........

The iPhone HAS to be active making calls on the UK carrier network for the carrier to identify as "theirs" and therefore eligible for the Carrier to unlock

The way to achieve this is to use a PAYG sim making and receiving calls to establish a customer relationship with the Carrier and then follow the Carrier's process to unlock

With a PAYG it usually means adding a specified (by the carrier ) amount usually £15 /£20 depending on the carrier

This is how O2 function and according to Gemma this is how Vodafone work

wrongly told by provider phone was unlocked...bought it...now how do I unlock it as vodaphone wont help but the phone is not registered as stolen or anything!!??please help..had it for a month now and they just wont help me!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.