Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i read pdf files on mac air, i have downloaded adobe reader and not working

How do I read any files in pdf format? I have downloaded adobe reader yet have not been able to open pdf files?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 11:17 PM

12 replies

Apr 23, 2013 10:37 AM in response to adelinefrombc

If you can't view PDF files in Safari, take these steps.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line of text below to select it, the copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C):

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Paste into the text box that opens (command-V), then press return.

From the folder that opens, remove any items that have the letters “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then quit and relaunch Safari, and test.

The "Silverlight" web plugin distributed by Microsoft can also interfere with PDF display in Safari, so you may need to remove it as well, if it's present.

If you still have the issue, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari again.

Apr 23, 2013 8:19 PM in response to pjdube

I am really frustrated and feel stupid. The pdf is in a email. I have rt clicked on the word pdf and right clicked on the file...I do not get preview or adobe or get info as any of the possible options. I have read different people on this forum making reference to a "preview". I can't seem to see this in my email or in any fo the bars...where is this located?

Apr 23, 2013 8:32 PM in response to adelinefrombc

Don't feel stupid. We understand. You are new at this.

Go to the email, and press with both fingers on the pdf that is attached to the email. You should get something like this:

User uploaded file

then move the mouse to Open With and you should get something like this:

User uploaded file

Then move your mouse cursor to Preview.app or Adobe and click on it.

Hope this helps.

Apr 23, 2013 9:57 PM in response to pjdube

I do not get these boxes...when I click with 2 fingers on the pdf symbol in the email I get

back

forward

reload page

open in dashboard

save page as

print page

then when i click on the file i get

open link in new window

open link in new tab

download linked file

add link to bookmarks

add link to reading list

copy lnk

My problem is that I havent been seeing this "preview " option anywhere.

Apr 23, 2013 10:07 PM in response to adelinefrombc

Oh I see what's happening... I think. you must not be clicking on the actual PDF file.

When you click on a web page with both fingers you get the following:

User uploaded file

and when when you on a link you get:

User uploaded file

Which is what you are describing. You must not be actually clicking on the PDF file.

Can you open the email where you have this PDF file and upload a screen shot of it? So that I can see.

To simply do this, hold down Command-Shift-4 and then hit the space bar. then tap on the email window. This will take a picture of the window and save it to your desktop. Then reply to this message and in the editor box click the "Camera" Icon to include this screenshot from your desktop.

This way I can see what the problem is. Thanks.

Apr 23, 2013 10:15 PM in response to adelinefrombc

To clarify further, you said "The PDF is in an email." But I believe you are not using a mail program to read that email. It sounds to me like you're using Safari to read the email by a webmail method.

Also, in your first post, you said "I have downloaded Adobe Reader ...". Actually, Apple is expert at reading PDF files with its native software. Once you get the attachment downloaded onto your Mac, you can use Apple's native app Preview (included with Mountain Lion) to read it.

Apr 23, 2013 11:05 PM in response to pjdube

Well I tried downloading the pdf I then got the preview icon all the way at the bottom of the screen. I have been trying to open the file directly and not download. I had a dell computer previously. I get the feeling i did not need adobe reader. What started the problem was receiving an email where I had to open a link and then "click here " button to get my tickets wherin I had to download adobe reader...unfortunately the tickets would not download. Thank you so much for your patience!

Apr 23, 2013 11:19 PM in response to sberman

You are right I am using a webmail program within Safari. I realized from your post I would have to download the email. When I did the preview symbol popped up.

I haven't been able to open up a pdf in a link that was sent to me...this is what started the whole problem and which is why I downloaded adobe reader in the first place.

Thank you for your help!

how do i read pdf files on mac air, i have downloaded adobe reader and not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.