Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Redirecting in Safari AFTER restore - JAVA issue?

Hi All,

I seem to be having a similar problem to the person in this thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4979675?start=0&tstart=0

but have escalated to a main discussion topic as it seems particularly annoying. I am unable to use a particular website from Safari on my iPad4 (iOS 6.1.3) - the website is www.guardian.co.uk (and subdirectories). When I select from bookmark the site is directed to mobile.juicyads.com and then finds it way c.mobpartner.mobi before sending me to App store for a particular game advert.

Happened before and i deleted all web history/cleared cache etc and this worked. NOW, however the clearing of cache does nothing. I have tried restore to backup and restore as new iPad - neither of which have addressed the situation.

I have also tried Chrome browser on iPad and this was redirected too.

There is a solution in that if I turn JAVA OFF then the redirect doesn't happen.

Is there anything else I haven't tried and does anyone actually know what the "infection" or problem actually is.

Thanks

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 4:03 AM

This is happening because of bad ads on that site. These ads are designed to randomly redirect mobile device users to other sites. It has nothing to do with your iPad. The random nature of the re-directs is intended to confuse the user and keep this garbage below the radar.

Turning OFF Javascript (not Java - the iPad doesn't even run Java) bypasses the problem because the mechanism implementing the redirects uses Javascript. This is not really a solution, however, because turning Off Javascript affects all sites and will certainly cause problems.

Complain to www.guardian.co.uk to get these ads removed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2013 4:03 AM in response to BaselGooner

This is happening because of bad ads on that site. These ads are designed to randomly redirect mobile device users to other sites. It has nothing to do with your iPad. The random nature of the re-directs is intended to confuse the user and keep this garbage below the radar.

Turning OFF Javascript (not Java - the iPad doesn't even run Java) bypasses the problem because the mechanism implementing the redirects uses Javascript. This is not really a solution, however, because turning Off Javascript affects all sites and will certainly cause problems.

Complain to www.guardian.co.uk to get these ads removed.

IPad Redirecting in Safari AFTER restore - JAVA issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.