Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad claims not enough space to sync files from iTunes when there is?

*sigh* I always dread trying to sync my iPad with iTunes on my Mac.

It's always the same old problems, and I just can't figure out why.

Here's a brief runthrough of the problem, using today's experience as an example:

I plug my iPad into my Mac.

iTunes says there is approximately 1.04 gigabytes of empty space on my iPad (in the capacity bar at the bottom of the summary tab).

This is reflected in the Settings of my iPad, under the General > Usage section.

I do an initial sync without changing anything just to update playcounts, etc.

It all goes fine, no errors.

I check two video files in my iTunes list that I want copied across, both approximately the same size, around 75 megabytes each.

(I have "sync only checked songs and videos" checked on my main summary tab).

Before I re-sync, I notice the capacity bar at the bottom of the summary tab has updated to now show 0.89 gigabytes of empty space on my iPad.

I then attempt to re-sync my iPad to get the two new videos copied across.

The sync does not work. I get an error saying that there is not enough free space, etc. An additional 146.5 MBs is required.

What?

Anyway...

So I uncheck one of the two files above, and the capacity bar now shows 0.95 gigabytes of empty space.

I attempt to re-sync.

This does work - just to prove that the syncing process does work.

I go back and check the second file and attempt to resync.

The sync does not work. I get an error saying that there is not enough free space, etc. An additional 77.9 MBs is required.

This in itself is confusing and frustrating, but it gets worse...

So now I go back and uncheck both files. I also manually delete from my iPad the file that had copied across before.

So now I'm back at square one.

I start the process again.

I only check one video file to copy across - the same one that had worked fine before.

I attempt to re-sync.

The sync does not work. I get an error saying that there is not enough free space, etc. An additional 70.1 MBs is required.

What the...?!

This worked fine just a second ago...

What makes this even weirder is that before all of this, before I even plugged my iPad into my Mac, I manually deleted about SIX videos off the iPad (that were then unchecked in iTunes before plugging in the iPad), again, all approximately the same size, around 75 megabytes each.

So if I can take six 75MB videos off the iPad, why can't I put two 75MB videos back on to the iPad?!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2 GB RAM

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 5:07 AM

3 replies

Apr 23, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Brett Archibald

The available storage on an iPad is used for more than just the storage of files. The iPad uses some of that space to operate. Also when you download stuff, the downloaded file is compressed. The compressed file must be downloaded to your iPad then expanded. While that is happening you must have space for both the downloaded file and the expanded file.

My suggestion is to increase the amount of free space available on your pad by deleting unused or unnessary stuff.

Apr 23, 2013 10:14 AM in response to Brett Archibald

How much space is used by your Other? You may be able to reduce.

How Do I Get Rid Of The “Other” Data Stored On My iPad Or iPhone?

http://tinyurl.com/85w6xwn

With an iOS device, the “Other” space in iTunes is used to store things like documents, settings, caches, and a few other important items. If you sync lots of documents to apps like GoodReader, DropCopy, or anything else that reads external files, your storage use can skyrocket. With iOS 5/6, you can see exactly which applications are taking up the most space. Just head to Settings > General > Usage, and tap the button labeled Show All Apps. The storage section will show you the app and how much storage space it is taking up. Tap on the app name to get a description of the additional storage space being used by the app’s documents and data. You can remove the storage-hogging application and all of its data directly from this screen, or manually remove the data by opening the app. Some applications, especially those designed by Apple, will allow you to remove stored data by swiping from left to right on the item to reveal a Delete button.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Apr 24, 2013 12:27 AM in response to Brett Archibald

Thank-you both for answering, but your replies would seem to indicate that you did not either fully read or understand my original post.

@Ralph9430 – Firstly, I am not downloading any compressed files. I am simply transferring a video file from my Mac to my iPad. There is a difference.

Secondly, the suggestion to remove "unused or unnessary stuff" is not helpful, as I know what's on my iPad and I would like to keep what's there on the iPad. Besides, if I have 1GB free and I can't transfer a 75MB video, then the problem is not to remove more things, but to figure out why 75MB can't fit into 1GB.

@Texas Mac Man — I have approximately 1GB of "other" data on my iPad, but this is not the problem.

I am aware of certain apps that can take up more space than the app bundle itself by storing additional files and data within it, but this is not the problem.

As I said originally, both iTunes and my iPad's Settings report that my iPad has 1GB of free space.

The problem is, why can't a 75MB file fit within that space?

Or rather, more precisely, why can't the EXACT SAME FILE fit in at one moment, when just a few moments ago it could.

If people are going to reply, no matter how helpful their intentions might be, their efforts will be futile if they do not take time to read the details I put into the original post.

iPad claims not enough space to sync files from iTunes when there is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.