Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina MacBook Pro fan running constantly

I have a Retina MacBook Pro 13-inch (Early 2013) running 10.8.3 (fully patched) and the fans run constantly, almost as soon as it boots up since the installation of the following Apple software updates on April 16, 2013:

 Safari 6.0.4 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5678)

 Java for OS X 2013-003 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572)

This is what I've tried so far, with no success (fans still run constantly):

 Shutdown and Restart

 PRAM reset

 Uninstalled Flash

 Uninstalled Java

 Spot checking Activity Monitor (seem normal?)

The only thing that I can think of is some sort of SMC or Firmware update? Although System Update isn't saying that I need anything at the moment. I may also try installing the 10.8.3 Combo Update "over top" of the existing sotware to see if that helps silence the fans.

Anyone else's rMBP fans running constantly since the last Apple software update? Mine never exhibited this before and it's literally giving me a headache!

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13-inch, Early 2013, fully patched

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 8:00 AM

13 replies

Apr 25, 2013 1:27 PM in response to PowerPage.org

Make sure your MBP is getting the proper ventilation.

According to the user manual it states in part:

"Do not operate your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook Pro. Never push objects into the ventilation openings."

MacBook Pro: Care, Use, and Safety Information

"Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn."

You are still under warranty and/or have AppleCare, call them. Let them deal w/it.

User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2013 2:12 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Baby Boomer (USofA) wrote:

... "Do not operate your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents...

The risk of blocking the air vents can't be emphasized enough. Assuming the physical configuration of the 15" (which I'm familiar with) is pretty much the same as the 13" rMBP, the air intake vents are only small slits very close to the bottom edge under the flat side of the base, and if the Mac is resting on anything other than a hard surface, those vents are almost guaranteed to be blocked.

Jul 28, 2014 10:23 AM in response to PowerPage.org

I've had the same issue for awhile now, and I figured out what caused it: iCloud's Documents and Data and Photos syncing are causing the Mac's CPU to overheat and run the fans--even if the computer isn't doing anything taxing. By disabling those two services, my fans instantly turned off, and the Mac has been buttery smooth since.

I'm guessing that they're constantly pinging the servers, similar to how DropBox decreases battery life. The issue is even apparent in the Yosemite Public Beta.

Jun 4, 2015 5:36 AM in response to PowerPage.org

I have the same problem but with just the left hand fan.

Genius bar had it in for 4 days and replaced the fan but it is the same with the new fan. I assume that it therefore must be a fan control software glitch? It appeared to start just after a software update as you suggest.

I've tried all of the resets and diagnostics and nothing fixes it. Hopefully an OSX update will fix this but the Genius Bar staff were clueless as to what's wrong.

Retina MacBook Pro fan running constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.