Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail: Proper way to adjust IMAP/SMTP mail server entries?

Please forgive, but I am still on 10.4 (Tiger) with an iCloud mail account. I believe this is still a widely applicable and helpful question!

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server):

MINE IS STILL: mail.me.com (Currently still working fine)

Advised/required: imap.mail.me.com

SMTP (Outgoing mail server):

MINE IS STILL: smtp.me.com (Currently still working fine)

Advised/required: smtp.mail.me.com

QUESTION 1: To have the server entries set properly, can I simply make textual changes in the Incoming/Outgoing server name fields for my IMAP iCloud mail account (via insert of word "mail" in server names; change is not shown here)...

User uploaded file

...or should one DELETE IMAP ACCOUNT (as I have commonly read!) and recreate with all new correct settings? If it is advisable to Delete the account, why wouldn't just making the quick server name adjustments be sufficient?

Also, I need some fears assuaged:

- "Deleting an IMAP mail account" in Mail has no risk/danger of losing/deleting all of your Sent and Received Inbox/Sentbox contents, correct? When you recreate an Account, all of your mail held on server is still fully safe and accessible, yes?

:::

ISSUE TWO:

I like to use both my "me.com" and "mac.com" email addresses.

Under "Edit (Outgoing) Server List," I still have a secondary older entry "smtp.mac.com" listed.

QUESTION 2: Is the following statement of my understanding accurate?

"Deletion of the smtp.mac.com outgoing server is completely acceptable and would not prohibit sending of email under mac.com email address because the "mac.com" email address is an alias for the me.com address and ALL mail (whether sent with mac.com or me.com email address) goes out through the ME.COM server."

User uploaded file

Is that correct. If not, kindly advise!

I really appreciate the help.

I am not a beginning Mac user and find that the complete configuration intricacies of Apple Mail (I know that's the old name) are one thing that users are never really guided to master and comprehend.

Many thanks in advance!

Bill from Maryland

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 10:02 AM

5 replies

Apr 23, 2013 10:58 AM in response to Bill from Maryland

These are the settings recomended by Apple.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • Port: 993
  • Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

Note: If you receive errors using SSL, try using TLS instead.

Apr 23, 2013 11:18 AM in response to Csound1

Csound, I have that information but my long-winded question was:

#1 - To change/update the server names, can I simply make textual changes in the Incoming/Outgoing server name fields (and any other settings per above)...or should I DELETE current IMAP Account (as I have commonly read!), start over again and recreate a fresh account with all new correct settings? I.E., TWEAK...or RECREATE?

#2 - Can I delete the smtp.mac.com without adverse impact on sending email out from mac.com email address?

Thanks for all the great advice you have given to so many people for so long.

Bill from Maryland

Apr 23, 2013 11:34 AM in response to Bill from Maryland

Bill from Maryland wrote:

Csound, I have that information but my long-winded question was:

#1 - To change/update the server names, can I simply make textual changes in the Incoming/Outgoing server name fields (and any other settings per above)...or should I DELETE current IMAP Account (as I have commonly read!), start over again and recreate a fresh account with all new correct settings? I.E., TWEAK...or RECREATE?

You can and should edit the account settings, making a new account is not needed.

#2 - Can I delete the smtp.mac.com without adverse impact on sending email out from mac.com email address?

Yes, the mac.com email address (as well as @me and @icloud) are all handled by the iCloud servers at the server address I posted previously.

Thanks for all the great advice you have given to so many people for so long.

Bill from Maryland

You're welcome, thanks.

Mail: Proper way to adjust IMAP/SMTP mail server entries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.