Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading iphoto 09->11 but 'modifieds' don't appear

Hey everybody. I've been trying to upgrade my iphoto 09 (8.1.2) to iphoto 11 (9.4.3). I've come into the same problem as many with upgrading the iphoto library (iphoto 11 just crashes upon trying to upgrade). In reading the forums, I decided to try iphoto library manager to rebuild my iphoto 8.1.2 library into a 9.4.3. It worked great, keeping just about everything intact except that I noticed that iphoto 9.4.3 wouldn't show any of the edited versions of the images I had in iphoto 09. In other words, it's as if the connection to the modified versions of the photos were completely lost. I feel like I'm just going to be stuck in iphoto 09 for eternity unless I can figure out a workaround, as I have too many edited photos to just go and edit them all over again. Please help!

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 8:45 AM

10 replies

Apr 23, 2013 8:53 AM in response to bderms

Have you tried to rebuild your iPhoto 8.1.2 library using the library first aid tools in iPhoto 8.1.2? Do you still have iPhoto 8.1.2 running on your system or can you restore it from your backup? Rebuilding with iPhoto's First aid Tools will preserve all edits and products.

See: iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library

And only after the library has been rebuild, then to upgrade to iPhoto '11?

It is safer to do the update with a library that is in working condition.

Before you try to rebuild, make sure you have a backup of the library.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 23, 2013 8:52 AM in response to bderms

Since we do not know exactly what you did and how you did it there is no way to tell what went wrong - do you still have a working iPhoto '09 with its library? If so try Back up your iPhoto '09 library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto '09 - rebuild your iPhoto '09 library - test it and tehn do the upgrade to iPhoto '11

LN

Apr 23, 2013 9:13 AM in response to léonie

Yes I already tried rebuilding8.1.2 several times. I still have 8.1.2 loaded and the library loads just fine with all the edits. It's just that iPhoto 11 rejects that library when I try to upgrade, as it just crashes. The iPhoto library manager trick worked great except for the big problem of 'disappearing' edits. I think the actual files are loaded onto the new compatible library I created but they aren't showing up on iPhoto 11. I tried rebuilding the iPhoto 11 library to make them appear but no luck.

Apr 23, 2013 9:33 AM in response to LarryHN

Another thing to try - use IPLM to rebuild the iPhoto '09 library - check it with iPhoto '09 and if it is ok then upgrade to iphoto '11

And please post what you have tried - this is really slow to make suggestions only to have you come back with "I already tried that" - knowing what has been tried will save all of us a lot of time

LN

Apr 23, 2013 7:35 PM in response to bderms

So this is the weird thing - When I look at the new library in iphoto 11 that I created under the iPLM explorer, all the edits/modified versions appear there but not in the actual iphoto 11. I tried rebuilding the iphoto 11 library again but no luck in solving the issue. Aside from reimporting the modified versions manually, not sure what else to do.

Apr 23, 2013 8:19 PM in response to bderms

When I look at the new library in iphoto 11 that I created under the iPLM explorer, all the edits/modified versions appear there but not in the actual iphoto 11.

I'm not understanding this comment

Are you saying that they appear in IPLM but not in iPhoto? If so it may make sense to contact IPLM support and see what they can add to this discussion

LN

Apr 23, 2013 8:20 PM in response to LarryHN

iphoto library manager allows you to explore the library created. WHen I view the new library that I created for iphoto 11 within the iPLM explorer manager, the photos that were edited appear edited. However, in iphoto 11, the pictures that have previously been edited do not appear edited. In fact, when trying to reveal in finder the modified versions, they only link to the 'masters' versions (even though I can actually see the modified versions are there in the file structure). Does that clarify?

Upgrading iphoto 09->11 but 'modifieds' don't appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.