Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch - color calibration issue

Hi !

Just purchased this computer. I'm photographer and accurate color calibration is therefore very important.

I use the Spyder 3 Pro for calibration. A well known reliable calibration tool that I've used in the past on my iMac.

Now with the new MacBook Pro, I find that after going through the calibration process, I end-up getting a slightly magenta dominent tint. It's worst than with the original settings. I do not find this normal.

Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2014 9:33 PM

I had an issue with my 2012 MBPR 15" screen calibration. I cannot offer a definite solution, because it has come good and I am not sure why.

I noticed that photos seemed to require highlight and shadow correction more than seemed usual. I looked at this colour checker:

User uploaded file

The 3 whitest squares were almost indistinguishable, as were the 3 blacks. The 5th row from the top was almost white.

I used a Spyder 4 Pro to calibrate the screen (or is profile the correct term?). That reduced the contrast but still the 2 blackest and 2 whitest squares were blocked. Also, skin tones all looked like there was a layer of pink makeup on them. The advanced analysis showed that I was getting 100% of RGB, but with a very s-shaped tone curve.

I also had a go at using the Apple calibrator. It actually did an OK job but with similar issues to the Spyder's.

I changed the profile a few times, using various screen and printer profiles that show up in the Colour tab of the Display section in System Preferences. (They have accumulated over time and changes of equipment).

I tried screen-sharing with my old white 24" iMac: despite its age it was showing better highlight and shadow detail (and I do prefer its matte screen).

I also plugged the MBPR into my cheap LCD TV via HDMI. I created a profile for the TV using the Apple calibration tool again, and photos looked OK.

Now here is where it got interesting. Some time after doing these various bits of playing around I noticed that the MBPR was showing the above checker satisfactorily on its own screen. I the re-did the Spyder 4 process and the resulting calibration is really quite good. I also looked at a white and a black colour checker, and shade 5 is distinguishable form 0, and 254 from 255, and no "pink makeup" effect.

I notice that others have had issues with screen calibrators on the MBPR, both Spyders and Xrites e.g.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4063915

http://www.trustedreviews.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-2013_Lapto p_review

However, others have reported good results:

http://cdtobie.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/retina-display-macbook-pro-for-calibrati on-and-photography/

So something I did made the MBPR stop its high-contrast behaviour, and the Spyder then was able to do a good job. I wish I had noticed precisely when it came good.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2014 9:33 PM in response to Community User

I had an issue with my 2012 MBPR 15" screen calibration. I cannot offer a definite solution, because it has come good and I am not sure why.

I noticed that photos seemed to require highlight and shadow correction more than seemed usual. I looked at this colour checker:

User uploaded file

The 3 whitest squares were almost indistinguishable, as were the 3 blacks. The 5th row from the top was almost white.

I used a Spyder 4 Pro to calibrate the screen (or is profile the correct term?). That reduced the contrast but still the 2 blackest and 2 whitest squares were blocked. Also, skin tones all looked like there was a layer of pink makeup on them. The advanced analysis showed that I was getting 100% of RGB, but with a very s-shaped tone curve.

I also had a go at using the Apple calibrator. It actually did an OK job but with similar issues to the Spyder's.

I changed the profile a few times, using various screen and printer profiles that show up in the Colour tab of the Display section in System Preferences. (They have accumulated over time and changes of equipment).

I tried screen-sharing with my old white 24" iMac: despite its age it was showing better highlight and shadow detail (and I do prefer its matte screen).

I also plugged the MBPR into my cheap LCD TV via HDMI. I created a profile for the TV using the Apple calibration tool again, and photos looked OK.

Now here is where it got interesting. Some time after doing these various bits of playing around I noticed that the MBPR was showing the above checker satisfactorily on its own screen. I the re-did the Spyder 4 process and the resulting calibration is really quite good. I also looked at a white and a black colour checker, and shade 5 is distinguishable form 0, and 254 from 255, and no "pink makeup" effect.

I notice that others have had issues with screen calibrators on the MBPR, both Spyders and Xrites e.g.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4063915

http://www.trustedreviews.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-2013_Lapto p_review

However, others have reported good results:

http://cdtobie.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/retina-display-macbook-pro-for-calibrati on-and-photography/

So something I did made the MBPR stop its high-contrast behaviour, and the Spyder then was able to do a good job. I wish I had noticed precisely when it came good.

Jun 12, 2014 7:20 AM in response to John McInnes

Interesting. Has said in my previous post on this topic, I had problems with the calibration of my MBP retina laptop using a Spyder 3. The main problem was a magenta color cast after calibration.

After a year with that problem, after my last calibration 2 months ago, calibration was perfect! I have no idea why this suddently started working. Maybe an OS updated corrected a problem...

Anyway, it's much better now.

Jun 13, 2014 10:01 PM in response to Community User

Since I wrote in the above thread I reproduced the behaviour and identified what made my screen come good.

1. I plugged in my TV using HDMI.

2. In System Preferences I selected Displays and then the Colour LCD window [the other one that pops up pertains to the external display]/"Display" tab/"best for external display" radio button.

3. At this point the exaggerated contrast on the MBPR display ceased, and all squares on the colour checker became distinguishable from each other.

4. Even after unplugging the TV the macbook screen retained its newfound normal response.

5. After a restart it went back to its high-contrast chicanery.

6. Repeating 1 to 4 produced the same result as it had before.

Below are photos of the screen before and after. They are slightly underexposed but illustrate the change well enough. I just wish I knew what was going on under the hood, as it were. Plugging in a TV whenever I want my laptop screen to be accurate is not ideal.

Below are photos (not screenshots).

User uploaded file

Before: Blacks zero and 25 indistinguishable, 5th row looks all white, 230 243 and 255 indistinguishable.

User uploaded file

After. The blacks appear blocked unless you look hard but that is a camera response thing: they are clear to the eye. The whites and pale colours are now clear (and less grey to the eye than the camera).

I'd be keen to hear from anyone who understands the technical reasons for this behaviour, and whether there is a way to retain "best for external display" as the default for the internal display. It may be less impressive but to me at least it seems more accurate and gives a better idea of what to adjust for a good print.

Jul 15, 2014 6:05 PM in response to Community User

Update:

I have worked it out. I had overlooked a simple matter.

It seems that on the Macbook Retina 15" by default by default the keyboard shortcut for adjusting screen contrast is not enabled (certainly I had never touched it) AND also the screen contrast is set rather high.

I have rectified both and my latest profiling with the Spyder has delivered a very good result.

New MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch - color calibration issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.