Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firmware won't update on my computer

Hello:

I installed MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.4 - I keep going thru the steps below and it won't update. Please help. Thanks a bunch!!!

Kelly Peterson

To update the SMC firmware on your MacBook Pro:

Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source, or your battery must be at least 25% charged.

For more information see 'http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3499'.

1. Quit all other open applications.

2. Click Restart in the MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to restart.

The SMC firmware update starts automatically. A status bar indicates the progress of the update. During the update your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

Important: Do not interrupt the update.

Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and opens the MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update.

3. Click OK. The SMC firmware is now up-to-date.

If these instructions appear on your screen again, the SMC firmware update was not successful. Repeat steps 2 and 3.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 11:17 AM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2013 12:38 PM in response to kelroc98

Try booting into the Safe Mode and then installing the update. Shut down the computer and then power it back up. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

firmware won't update on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.